[2013-Dec-10]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Zarquon

[2013-Dec-10]

Post by Zarquon »

Come on, when read from the top that's not even a limerick..

Or is that the point, somehow?

egleblehhh

Re: [2013-Dec-10]

Post by egleblehhh »

that's because the rhyming scheme is "in reverse"

Snowman25

Post by Snowman25 »

I've read this limerick yesterday or even before that somewhere.
maybe imgur? maybe tumblr? I don't know.

Zarquon

Post by Zarquon »

I interpreted it as "this limerick is equally good if read from top to bottom", which doesn't make sense since it's not a limerick in the first place unless you read it that way. So it's just an ordinary limerick written from top to bottom, i guess.

jb

Post by jb »

The limerick makes logical sense when read in either direction, but works as a limerick when read in reverse.

Zarquon

Post by Zarquon »

jb wrote:The limerick makes logical sense when read in either direction, but works as a limerick when read in reverse.
Well, when read from the top the text refers to itself as a limerick, which it's not (when read from the top), so it does not quite make logical sense imo.

What would make sense is "this poem is not any worse if read bottom up, in fact it is then a limerick."

ergleblehhh

Post by ergleblehhh »

Zarquon wrote:
jb wrote:The limerick makes logical sense when read in either direction, but works as a limerick when read in reverse.
Well, when read from the top the text refers to itself as a limerick, which it's not (when read from the top), so it does not quite make logical sense imo.

What would make sense is "this poem is not any worse if read bottom up, in fact it is then a limerick."
It's still a limerick, it's just that the rhyming scheme is reversed
hence "this limerick goes in reverse"
so it still makes logical sense

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Snowman25 wrote:I've read this limerick yesterday or even before that somewhere.
maybe imgur? maybe tumblr? I don't know.
He did post it on facebook and presumably elsewhere a while back.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Here is my favorite limerick:
There once was a traveler from an antique land
Who said "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone stand
In the desert,
Near them on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies whose frown and wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command tell that its sculptor well those passions read which yet remain, stamped on these lifeless things, the hand that mocked them and the heart that fed: and on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings. Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.