[2014-1-21] Wherein Zach steals jokes from other comics

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

nope

Re: [2014-1-21] Wherein Zach steals jokes from other comics

Post by nope »

This is the oldest joke ever. Years ago my pastor used to tell a joke about a pastor who didn't write a sermon and instead relied on the Holy Spirit to give him the words to say. When he got up on Sunday he heard the voice of God say "you should have written a sermon"

Both comics are a take on an ancient joke of "character tries to cheat in one way is told character should have done work". I'm not saying Zach didn't steal the joke. Maybe he hadn't heard it until he read the other comic. but recycling happens all the time in comedy and this is a very old joke format.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Maybe the forum's still here for tax purposes?
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Post by Guest »

Why wouldn't it be here? There's no real reason to get rid of it. Or maintain it, but getting rid of it probably requires giving it a thought.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

They've had multiple opportunities through the years to take it down, they just don't. I've lived through at least four server migrations, and for a while with the latest one I thought we were goners for sure because we were down for like a week after Zach joined Hive but eventually the drones put it back. I've even got a tech support contact out of it because I am literally the only person apart from Zach who has Admin access, so I'm the one who approves all registrations and the drone needed to make one so as to test everything working properly.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I assume other webcomics still have fairly active forums? I'd guess that Zach (and any of his web designers) just assume that SMBC does as well. I mean ours is active. Half of the activity is our community of regulars (maybe 12 people at any given time?) just talking about whatever, and many of us don't even read the comic anymore. The other half is in the Latest Comic Discussion, which would be redundant with social media if it wasn't for the 1/4 of posts that are criticisms and would unlikely be heard without the anonymity of the forum.

Post by Guest »

this thread is specifically why zach doesn't visit the forums or even think about them.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Guest wrote:this thread is specifically why zach doesn't visit the forums or even think about them.
Nah, he hasn't logged in since 20 May 2011, just over a week before he got married.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Edminster wrote:
Guest wrote:this thread is specifically why zach doesn't visit the forums or even think about them.
Nah, he hasn't logged in since 20 May 2011, just over a week before he got married.
omg stalker
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.