[2014-01-27] Multiverse Relationship

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

rhomboidal

[2014-01-27] Multiverse Relationship

Post by rhomboidal »

I've heard a version of multiverse theory that not only are there universes beyond our own, and not only are there an infinite number of universes beyond our own, but there are an infinite number of universes which are exactly identical to our own.

But does that mean there's a universe where multiverse theory isn't correct?

And if we're only self-consciously aware of ourselves and each other existing in this universe and not all the identical ones, then how can they be exactly identical?

Relationship issues are HARD...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: [2014-01-27] Multiverse Relationship

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I don't know how you could subscribe to the idea of there being parallel universes but not that there are an infinite number of them.
But then again I don't understand how there being infinite identical universes does anything but detract from the parallel universe theory.

rhomboidal

Post by rhomboidal »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I don't know how you could subscribe to the idea of there being parallel universes but not that there are an infinite number of them.
But then again I don't understand how there being infinite identical universes does anything but detract from the parallel universe theory.
I think the idea is that there's a huge but still finite number of possible arrangements of matter in our universe, so in the infinite space of infinite universes, you would inevitably get repeats of any specific arrangement, including ours -- in fact, an infinite number of them.

And naturally, I'm assuming all our duplicates would be equally discombobulated by that idea.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

rhomboidal wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I don't know how you could subscribe to the idea of there being parallel universes but not that there are an infinite number of them.
I think the idea is that there's a huge but still finite number of possible arrangements of matter in our universe, so in the infinite space of infinite universes, you would inevitably get repeats of any specific arrangement, including ours -- in fact, an infinite number of them.

And naturally, I'm assuming all our duplicates would be equally discombobulated by that idea.
No, I understand that. Once you are talking about infinity, you can just as easily talk about infinity within infinity (in a practical sense, I mean -- technically it would be infinity-less-one or whatever). I just don't see how that is even remotely relevant to the topic. It actually kind of screams "it's a thought experiment, quit taking parallel worlds theory so seriously". Yet I doubt whoever was thinking of it even considered that it was parody.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Lethal Interjection wrote:it's a thought experiment, quit taking parallel worlds theory so seriously
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

rhomboidal

Post by rhomboidal »

Lethal Interjection wrote:No, I understand that. Once you are talking about infinity, you can just as easily talk about infinity within infinity (in a practical sense, I mean -- technically it would be infinity-less-one or whatever). I just don't see how that is even remotely relevant to the topic. It actually kind of screams "it's a thought experiment, quit taking parallel worlds theory so seriously". Yet I doubt whoever was thinking of it even considered that it was parody.
Funny to think there might be a parody parallel universe which is basically identical to ours, but with an over-the-top satirical twist to everything -- religion, sex, politics...

Well, maybe funny at first. Then it'd probably be a non-stop nightmare.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

rhomboidal wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:No, I understand that. Once you are talking about infinity, you can just as easily talk about infinity within infinity (in a practical sense, I mean -- technically it would be infinity-less-one or whatever). I just don't see how that is even remotely relevant to the topic. It actually kind of screams "it's a thought experiment, quit taking parallel worlds theory so seriously". Yet I doubt whoever was thinking of it even considered that it was parody.
Funny to think there might be a parody parallel universe which is basically identical to ours, but with an over-the-top satirical twist to everything -- religion, sex, politics...

Or... with... a laugh track. Give me death.

rhomboidal

Post by rhomboidal »

rhomboidal wrote: Funny to think there might be a parody parallel universe which is basically identical to ours, but with an over-the-top satirical twist to everything -- religion, sex, politics...

Lethal Interjection wrote:Or... with... a laugh track. Give me death.
Or we're already in it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...