[2014-02-26]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

blaine
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:01 am

[2014-02-26]

Post by blaine »

I love this. Although, in all seriousness, I've found that if you just tell them that you worship Dark Lord Satan, they'll leave you alone. It doesn't have to be true; if you're an atheist, you're not really "denying your faith" by pretending to believe something for personal gain. Hell, here in the South (where I had the good fortune to be born), most of us lie and say we're Christians anyway, just to keep from being assaulted. I guess that would work, too, in the airplane situation.

Image

doctormo

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by doctormo »

When the world gives you holy lemons, make secular lemonade. Now I'm not advocating literally squeezing their head until it pops like a watermelon. But metaphorically have at it.

User avatar
Astrogirl
so close, yet so far
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Astrogirl »

I read it as the Christian biting on the cyanide.

blaine, you were lucky to be born in the South ... of Australia?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Astrogirl wrote:I read it as the Christian biting on the cyanide.
That actually makes it a little funnier.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:I read it as the Christian biting on the cyanide.

blaine, you were lucky to be born in the South ... of Australia?
I'm going to assume he means the deep south of America where they kill black people and gays and non-christians on sight.*

*Ahhh stereotypes, where would I be without you?
King Prawn

User avatar
Astrogirl
so close, yet so far
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Astrogirl »

I assume the same, but I like to remind USians that they are not alone on the world. Which, evidently, they assume, as they never specify the country when they speak about the US.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Astrogirl wrote:blaine, you were lucky to be born in the South ... of Australia?
99% sure he means southern US, so I can empathize as a fellow non-religious person.

I've already noticed a big difference in how self-identified "very religious" people respond to one's non-religion here and back in the US. Here, a girl I was talking to asked if I was, I said no, she said she was, and that was that. There wasn't any hostility or judgement in the tone at all. Whereas in the US, old men would chase me around my university campus with little pocket Bibles. An example from my family: when I was 12 or so, we were visiting my Mom's family and we all went out to eat. During dinner, my brother and I were talking and I said "oh my god" in response to something he said.

Grandmother looked up sharply, "WHAT did you say!?

My Mom leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Tell her you said 'oh my gosh' ".
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Kimra »

If someone started trying to chase me around and push their religion on me, I think I'd consider punching them and accusing them of harassment. This America country is so weird.
King Prawn

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote:If someone started trying to chase me around and push their religion on me, I think I'd consider punching them and accusing them of harassment. This America country is so weird.

CHOOSE SCIENTOLOGY!

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:I read it as the Christian biting on the cyanide.

blaine, you were lucky to be born in the South ... of Australia?
I too am unsure, so let's be rational people here and use context clues.

First, the topic is dedicated to a comic about someone trying to push their religion upon someone else. This is known as Evangelism.

Second, the poster mentioned that in order to not be assaulted by Evangelists, they must profess to being Christian. Since this would only make sense if the Evangelists were Christian, we can safely conclude that the poster lives in an area with a moderate to large population of Evangelical Christians.

Now, with that in mind let's return to the mysterious reference to a direction.

South. Whatever could that mean? At first glance I can understand why this is confusing. Why, if you're at the North Pole, EVERYTHING is south! Truly it's a grammatical puzzle which can only be solved by the sharpest of wits.

But this is not so! We have another clue to add to this growing pile of hints and pointers: the post was made in English. Knowing this, the poster capitalized south as South, which changes it from a simple noun indicating direction to a proper noun indicating a region. Had the post been made in some other, lesser language then perhaps this would have gone unnoticed forever and all meaning hurled into the void.

Thankfully this was not the case, and we can assemble what we have learned into the following:

The South is a region, which is primarily an English-speaking area with a moderate to high number of Evangelical Christians.

From here, we can simply check against what we know of religion and the world and see what we get!

Let's see, if we look south we find Brazil, with ~1/8th of the world's Evangelical Christians! Wow! I guess we've figured it out, case closed right? WRONG. Brazil's official language is portugeuse and so conflicts with an earlier point. Plus, we learned that south was in fact a region and not a direction, and so were led astray. It is safe to say they were not referring to Brazil.

So let's take a look at another country, but this time South is part of it's name! South Korea also has an incredibly large population of Evangelical Christians. Second largest in the world! Wow! So here we go, South is right there in the name!!! Surely this is a slam-dunk case and the poster lives in South Korea?

NOPE

As with Brazil, the trouble is that Korea's official language is not English, but in fact Korean.

So now what?

Well, let's look just a bit further. The largest population of Evangelical Christians reside in the United States of America. Further, the majority of American Evangelical Christians live in a region known as the South. Finally, while it has no official language the predominant one in the United States of America is English. Three for three! Perfect fit! All using clues garnered from the text!

Gosh, it's great to be able to think critically about what you read and apply basic kindergarten-level logic to real-world situations.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Astrogirl wrote:I assume the same, but I like to remind USians that they are not alone on the world. Which, evidently, they assume, as they never specify the country when they speak about the US.
I dunno, it's a comic written by an American guy and it's not far-fetched to assume he didn't know there was a big international community here.

There're definitely plenty of cases where USians act like turds that rule the world, but I don't think this is one of those times.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Kimra »

Theres a city I visit a lot that has a 'North', 'South' and 'East' part (no west apparently). Except when standing at the centre of the town it makes no sense. It took a long time to figure out, but none of them are in relation to the town itself. They are in-fact related to the juncture in the river where all the boats came in. So when standing on the bridge to leave town they all make sense, but otherwise they seem arbitrary.

What was my point? Nothing. I wanted to talk.
King Prawn

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Ed is awesome.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Kimra »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Ed is awesome.
All hail the glow cloud Ed.
King Prawn

User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Well, he doesn't drop small dead animals on us, so that's a plus.
Reference reference reference, reference the reference.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Post Reply