[2014-02-26]

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: [2014-02-26]

Post by Edminster »

You missed that all Mexicans cook the best food.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:You missed that all Mexicans cook the best food.
Are you not an American citizen? I feel betrayed.
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Oh I am, but that doesn't change how delicious mexican cuisine is.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

No it doesn't. But I can't be expected to know everyones ancestry. Am I to start making potato jokes incase someones irish? I can't cover that far back in the cultural pool. You only get one culture, and yours is not NOW stereotypically American.

p.s. my mum made cherry guava jelly and cherry guava paste (to eat with cheese) the other day. What else would you cook with cherry guavas? (Potentially you can answer this in the food thread, but frankly I'm find with hijacking this thread.)

Edit: Stupid typos changing the meaning of things.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Lethal Interjection wrote:But even honkies need Allah... don't they?
Us crackers can be Muslim, but we can't be Nation of Islam. Nation of Islam is specifically a non-white, non-Jewish organization. Other races can join. The Southern Poverty Law Center considers them a hate group that is black-supremacist, anti-Semitic and anti-homosexual. They've toned things down a bit in the past few decades and even kicked at least one guy out for being openly and vocally racist. But that guy literally called for the murder of all white people. NoI also differs from Islam in several ways and has adopted various other philosophies to some extent, including Dianetics (Scientology). They also have an additional origin story, which is a fun and rather confusing read. Basically an evil scientist-god, Yakub aka Jacob, rebelled against Allah and bred the white race in some weird eugenics program as 'devils' to rule and oppress the original race (black people). The white race caused so much trouble that they were imprisoned in Africa where they lived like savages in caves eating raw meat until Moses freed them and tried to civilize them. But Moses got so frustrated that he blew up a bunch of them. After that the whites spread and took over. Modern science backs all this up of course.
blaine wrote:It's not always an "in your face" offense, but the influence of religion is really harmful in this region. (/snip)
I'm aware of all this stuff and the problems with it. I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't issues like the ones you mentioned and that they have a serious impact on the people living there. When your values are not the same as the dominant culture's values, it can be incredibly oppressive. Especially if you live in a small population area with little diversity. One of the reasons I moved to the city (Baltimore) was to get away from the two dominant cultures in may area, redneck and conservative white middle class. Fortunately, I only had to move about 30 minutes away to do that.

I've heard of people in small bible belt towns that go to church even though they aren't religious just to avoid being ostracized. I've had friends who lived in small, very religious communities that once they were 'out' as non-believers couldn't really socialize in public without being harassed. I was just pointing out that you can visit the south without constantly be evangelized to. Living there is another matter entirely obviously. I thought about saying something along those lines, but forgot to mention it.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I was lucky enough to grow up in a very progressive town, but we see Confederate battle flags popping up as soon as we're a few miles into the countryside. A couple gay friends in university came from small towns where they were terrified to come out to their parents or anyone else. It can be rough out there. But damn I love my state. Three hours from great beaches, three hours from beautiful mountains. Just have to avoid some of the people in between.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:Image
Is this to me? Because lets be honest I'm hating on everyone, and I'm just being lazy with the heritage thing. If everyone would like to list their heritage's I'm sure I can insult them as well.... if I can be bothered.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I figured it was a reference to people defending the use of Confederate flags.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW

(it's the thing Liri said)

EVER

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Yup. I learned not to mention it quite a while ago. One of my best friends even told me that she thought we were put together so she could save me. I told one of the old Bible guys "I'm heathen scum!" when he accosted me* outside the the science buildings. We also get Baptist proselytisers** coming to our door pretty often. If we got Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking, it'd at least be entertaining.
Why would those be more entertaining?
Kimra wrote:To be fair, I know for a fact that all Americans have six machine guns under their bed, all Canadians pee maple syrup, all Germans shout while eating sausages, all New Zealanders are in the Lord of the Rings, and all Australians wear cork hats.
Cork hats? What kinda cork hats?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Astrogirl wrote:Why would those be more entertaining?
I've grown up around Baptists and I'm not very fond of their beliefs. We have quaint stereotypes about how upbeat Mormons are about trying to convince others.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

>_> It was suggested to me that the cork hat thing might not be an internationally known stereotype. I never really considered that we all have our own mock stereotype for our countries that has nothing to do with what other people imagine.

Try this.

I think it's meant to keep flys away... it doesn't. It just makes you look like a drongo.
King Prawn

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kimra wrote:>_> It was suggested to me that the cork hat thing might not be an internationally known stereotype. I never really considered that we all have our own mock stereotype for our countries that has nothing to do with what other people imagine.

Try this.

I think it's meant to keep flys away... it doesn't. It just makes you look like a drongo.
The mailpeople look like that, but without the corks.

Yeah, had no idea about the cork hat stereotype till I started looking at Australia more closely before I came. But what on earth is a drongo?

blaine

Post by blaine »

Am I jinxing this thing if I say that I'm floored that, as a newcomer, I've spawned a 3-page thread (here's to a fourth!)? Because, if so, I'm totally not saying that. Like, at all.

Also, on an unrelated note, to those whom it may concern, I'm from Birmingham, Alabama, which is generally considered to be something of a liberal haven in this state. But all the same, my experiences have been generally that of an outcast, as an atheist. Even working for the most liberal employer in Alabama (University name redacted), I come up against it all the time. Even tonight, I was listening to our relatively new independent radio station, which is known largely for promoting the local bar culture, and was shocked to hear an ad, by "Oh Brother Radio" (which exclusively broadcasts from bars and frequently features the subversive local internet media), for a new Methodist ministry from a large local church. They (the Christians) run all the major businesses in the area, and the most successful service companies feature scriptures on their maintenance trucks. It's like another world down here (or up here, or over here, depending on your own locale).

On a side-side note, I had a clock repair man out tonight, and was just floored to have him arrive in the form of a sixties-era hippie, complete with beard, pony-tail, and "hey man" accent and cadence. It's always nice to get a sign that the wife and I are not alone out here...