[2014-04-18] Carbofuran

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Gradivus
ASK ME ABOUT THE BOTANICAL AND CULINARY CLASSIFICATION OF TOMATOES

[2014-04-18] Carbofuran

Post by Gradivus »

I'm afraid I don't get the… joke? I mean, WTF!?

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Re: [2014-04-18] Carbofuran

Post by Astrogirl »

Old men supposedly always yell at kids to get off their lawns, but only because they don't want them there. But this old men is yelling because he put poisonous stuff on the lawn. An expectation was violated. This is comical.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Michele-Michel

Post by Michele-Michel »

The joke is that everyone has to go figure out what Carbofuran is now.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Michele-Michel wrote:The joke is that everyone has to go figure out what Carbofuran is now.
You got it. If it wasn't obscure, it might be pretty funny.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Michele-Michel

Post by Michele-Michel »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:
Michele-Michel wrote:The joke is that everyone has to go figure out what Carbofuran is now.
You got it. If it wasn't obscure, it might be pretty funny.
Not sure if a preachy comic* or making fun of terror hippies.**

*citation needed
**carnuba wax is ground up bugs. Fear the Skittles

Djams

Post by Djams »

And... Why on earth did I cleaned my window with that Ricin abstract spray... aaaaargggghhhh....

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Nah. It's obvious it's something poisonous you put on grass. So probably something that is meant to kill either bugs or weed. (Not that kind of weed.)
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:Nah. It's obvious it's something poisonous you put on grass. So probably something that is meant to kill either bugs or weed. (Not that kind of weed.)
No one wants to kill 'that' kind of weed. Except for the establishment.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

It is extremely toxic something-cide. I can't remember what it is meant to kill, just that is banned in large parts of the world. I think you can still get it in the US, but you can't use it on food crops.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Michele-Michel

Post by Michele-Michel »

Kaharz wrote:It is extremely toxic something-cide. I can't remember what it is meant to kill, just that is banned in large parts of the world. I think you can still get it in the US, but you can't use it on food crops.
Not entirely true. You can use it on spinach grown specifically to go to seed, and on things that will not have a residual build up (maize, potatoes, pumpkins, sunflowers).

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Thanks for the correction. I thought the FDA had banned it for food crops, but they apparently just removed tolerance limits.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Zeke1220

Post by Zeke1220 »

Removing food tolerances means it can't be used on crops intended for human consumption, regardless of what the plant is.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Zeke1220 wrote:Removing food tolerances means it can't be used on crops intended for human consumption, regardless of what the plant is.
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe removing tolerance limits means that there can not be any detectable contaminant in the food crop. It is a minor, but important difference. An all out ban means you can not use it at all. The removal of tolerance limits means that you can use it as long as they can not tell that you used it. So if the food crop in question does not take up the contaminant, then you can use it.

I don't have experience with food contamination, but that is how it generally works with soil contamination.