[2014-04-29] Cheap laughs?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

bdoserror

[2014-04-29] Cheap laughs?

Post by bdoserror »

This seems like a cheap laugh at a group of geeks' expense, and not a particularly good one. Making fun of D&D players as having no charisma?

Out of character for the normally excellent SMBC.

Lupk

Re: [2014-04-29] Cheap laughs?

Post by Lupk »

Sorry, Zach gives no shits, consideration towards nerds don't give him no PC points.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

ImageD&D player spotted initiating shun proceduresImage
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Post by Guest »

I thought it was decently funny. Also, considering it's using D&D concepts, I'd say it's semi-laughing with even though it is making fun of players.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

bdoserror wrote:This seems like a cheap laugh at a group of geeks' expense, and not a particularly good one. Making fun of D&D players as having no charisma?

It might be an age issue. When I was a teenager (late 80s, early 90s) almost all pen and paper gamers were pretty big social outcasts. Even if everyone wasn't totally without charisma, the lack of social interaction with other groups led to some retarded social skills development. I didn't have a healthy social life until I was in my mid-20s and had started going out and interacting in other social setting besides the back of a game store or someone's basement. I would guess with the 'rise' of geek/nerd culture into the mainstream and increased popularity of gaming things have changed somewhat in the last decade or or two.

Anyway, I was one of those people and I was not offended by the comic. I do agree it was cheap and easy joke and didn't really find it very funny because of that.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I think the bigger joke is that god is a D&D player himself.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

genericuser

Post by genericuser »

bdoserror wrote:This seems like a cheap laugh at a group of geeks' expense, and not a particularly good one. Making fun of D&D players as having no charisma?

Pretty sure its the other way around and is making fun of people with no charisma as being D&D players. As his lack of charisma caused him to be a D&D player, but there is no indication that is the only reason people become D&D players.

Also whats wrong with cheap laughs? Better cheap laughs than no laughs, which is often the case here.

Post by Guest »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I think the bigger joke is that god is a D&D player himself.
Perhaps it's also playing off the concept of God "playing dice with the universe."

Michele-Michel

Post by Michele-Michel »

I completely agree that this is inaccurate.

D&D players are clearly not critically socially stunted as they found enough people to actually get a D&D group together.*

That requires actually talking to people.

*edit: words

lightcwu

Post by lightcwu »

As a D&D player I was happy that the other D&D geeks over at the Facebook page convinced Zach to write this one. We're geeks and have a cliché if we can't laugh at it then we need to shut up about making fun of other people, it's okay to look at how people perceive the hobby and laugh at it.

JustSayin

Post by JustSayin »

You people need to seriously pull the stick out of your ass and have a laugh at a silly joke made using generalizations. You have all failed your "not an oversensitive douche" rolls.

D&D

Post by D&D »

You people need at the Facebook page convinced Zach to seriously pull the stick out of your "playing dice with the universe." I was ass and have a laugh at a silly joke made using generalizations. You have all failed your "not an oversensitive douche" rolls.

As how people perceive the hobby geeks over to write this one. We're geeks they found enough people and have a cliché if we can't laugh at it then we need to shut up about making fun of other people, it's okay to look at a D&D player and laugh at it.

I completely agree actually talking to people.

D&D players are clearly happy that the other D&D not critically socially stunted as to actually get a group together.

That requires that this is inaccurate.

Perhaps it's also playing off the concept of God

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

D&D wrote:You people need at the Facebook page convinced Zach to seriously pull the stick out of your "playing dice with the universe." I was ass and have a laugh at a silly joke made using generalizations.
This is what I imagine reading James Joyce is like.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

It is scarily accurate.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:This is what I imagine reading James Joyce is like.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.