[2014-06-04] Efficient market

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: [2014-06-04] Efficient market

Post by Edminster »

Lupk wrote:Guys, stop feeding the troll, Quentin's fat enough as it is.
Sahan wrote:Yeah we definitely don't tolerate fat-shaming around here, buddy. Everything else is fine, but that just crosses the line. Grow up.
as a fatman* i have to concur with sahan; that was just beyond rude

*or fatwoman, i'm no sexist
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

taijitu

Post by taijitu »

Edminster wrote:
taijitu wrote:I thought the point of ruckus was more to be a reflection of the internalized self-hatred that a white supremacist society teaches to black people.
right but the presentation as an open racist is an important part of discrediting the character or else you end up with chris rock's 'niggas vs. black people' bit which was co-opted by racists to excuse racist behaviour and opinion. plus with the self-evident wrongness of the uncle ruckus character you don't have to bother with a nuanced rebuttal; had ruckus' opinions been presented as at all reasonable-sounding then refutation becomes a necessity because of the aforementioned co-opting.

similarly, quentin presents as blatantly wrong on the point of homosexuality and miscegenation. we actually had someone roll through a few months earlier with a more 'reasonable' presentation of the same shit and we actually took the time to deconstruct it as the nonsense it was, but with quentin it is completely unnecessary.
I don't see how not addressing it is anything other than complacency in the face of it. That ruckus is never called out is one of the weaknesses of his character and why white people watching the show have gelled to him as a comic outlet for their personal feelings about black people in exactly the same way as niggas vs black people or some of chapelle's show bits did. Poe's law, etc. In a lot of ways this is why people watch the colbert report. He might be an over-the-top satire but hey he says some reasonable stuff sometimes. How do you know which is which? Depends on your personal politics.

If nothing else it's important to point out that this might be self-evident to you but if it were self-evident to the public at large we wouldn't see nearly as much gay panic + violence + rampant hate-mongering as we do. Maybe when kids and rappers and internet anonymous stop using (I am ignorant and should be dragged into the street and shot in the mouth.) as an insult we can safely say quentin's ideas are ridiculous. Until then he's just as serious and taken just as seriously as any redpill.

To be clearer, I'm for addressing what he said, even if it's in the form of mercilessly insulting him without bothering to address his content. I'm not for just ignoring it and hoping it goes away.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I'm perfectly capable of watching Boondocks or The Colbert Report without confusing TV with reality.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

EebstertheGreat

Post by EebstertheGreat »

Can we talk about the actual subject of the comic? It kind of makes sense. In the EFF, you can't beat the market consistently because any workable plan to do so would already have been tried, or the inefficiency would otherwise have been closed up due to arbitrage or whatever.

Obviously that can't really always be true, and I don't think anyone would hold this hypothesis as literally exactly true, but even in the abstract it seems pretty suspect.

Post by Guest »

DonRetrasado wrote:I'm perfectly capable of watching Boondocks or The Colbert Report without confusing TV with reality.
Actually a bunch of neuroscience suggests this isn't true. But who are you going to believe? Science? Or your gut?! Next they'll tell you up is down, right is yellow and muffins are made from pig's feet.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Guest wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:I'm perfectly capable of watching Boondocks or The Colbert Report without confusing TV with reality.
Actually a bunch of neuroscience suggests this isn't true. But who are you going to believe? Science? Or your gut?! Next they'll tell you up is down, right is yellow and muffins are made from pig's feet.
Got some links to studies for that? I'd legitimately be quite interested in reading them.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

noone

Post by noone »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Guest wrote:
Got some links to studies for that? I'd legitimately be quite interested in reading them.
I don't per se agree with the findings, but research of this nature does exist. This paper [http://sspa.boisestate.edu/communicatio ... tephen.pdf] covers psychological as well as social experiments about The Colbert Report.