[2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby Dev Null » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Let me count the ways...

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3534

I love that the math works; Sheila gets 33% (6) of his expanded 18-rose heart.
Dev Null
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby slick514 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Roses are a commodity, not currency. Assuming that demand for roses remains constant, we would expect the value of each rose to increase more or less at pace with inflation. Your comic strip is invalid.
slick514
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby EdgarTheGreat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:41 pm

slick514 wrote:Roses are a commodity, not currency. Assuming that demand for roses remains constant, we would expect the value of each rose to increase more or less at pace with inflation. Your comic strip is invalid.


Gold acts both as a commodity and a currency. Who's to say that the same isn't true for roses in some alternate universe
EdgarTheGreat
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby Kaitlyn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:51 pm

I think the real tragedy here is that they've been dating for 20 years.
Kaitlyn
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure that's (100/102)^20, but given that the 2% is an approximation, I guess 0.98^20 is close enough.
Guest
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby slick514 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:04 pm

EdgarTheGreat wrote:
slick514 wrote:Roses are a commodity, not currency. Assuming that demand for roses remains constant, we would expect the value of each rose to increase more or less at pace with inflation. Your comic strip is invalid.


Gold acts both as a commodity and a currency. Who's to say that the same isn't true for roses in some alternate universe


Let us assume that roses act as currency in this alternate universe. Hyperinflation would undoubtably be the norm for as long as there is still unplanted arable land where more money-plants could be added... In this case, I don't know why he would be speaking to this woman, seeing as how the amount of affection that he holds for her is vanishingly small...
slick514
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby unkz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Guest wrote:I'm pretty sure that's (100/102)^20, but given that the 2% is an approximation, I guess 0.98^20 is close enough.


Either way -- 1/(1.01^20) = 0.67297... and 0.98^20 = 0.66760... both round to 0.67. Still works like that at 60 years, in fact (0.29755... vs 0.30478...).
unkz
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby unkz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:I think the real tragedy here is that they've been dating for 20 years.


Because you think marriage should be an end goal or for some other reason?
unkz
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:42 am

Good job! The 6 roses sealed the punchline. This one was legitimately funny.
Guest
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby n » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:59 am

when you judge love by income you should take into account the nominal price of roses.
this was not mentioned in Mrs Wolverine's argument which is therefore false.
n
 

Re: [2014-11-05] How Do I Love Thee?

Postby hamjudo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Mrs. Wolverine used the phrase real wages. Which usually means wages adjusted for inflation. For the sake of the joke, I am assuming they live in an area where the price of roses has changed in step with inflation.

Just like Dev Null, I like cartoons where the math works.
hamjudo
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:18 pm


Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests