[2015-6-9] - The meaning of self?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

Re: [2015-6-9] - The meaning of self?

Postby jtgibson » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:25 am

Heh... six posts discussing the comic, nine discussing Ada Marie. =P

Back on topic, I didn't get the misunderstanding either; I thought the persistence thing was somehow the joke in itself (which I really didn't get), and didn't make the mental connection for the wink wink nudge nudge about her not following the proper rules for "saving" oneself. That meant that I had no idea what the priest would have whispered to her, which made the hover text equally incomprehensible to me. =)

Now that I *get* it, it's amusing, but one of the most obscure jokes I've seen in ages...
jtgibson

Postby nerd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:38 pm

The joke is not that difficult to get. From the way she talks, the priests knows that she doesn't understand what "preserving herself" means in this context, so he explains it means her virginity. Then, she misunderstands that as "self" being a general euphemism for the word "virginity". Then, it suggests you that every time a person says a sentence including "self", you should mentally replace all of those instances with the word "virginity", because that's hilarious.

Have I made myself clear?
nerd

Postby Bard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 am

Thisfox wrote:
Edminster wrote:
Thisfox wrote:..Also, I don't see how Ada or Marie are nerdy names, but hey, that's a matter of opinion.

I'm a teacher. I know many many girls called Ada and Marie. They're normal. The nerdiest name I've encountered so far? Hazchem. He's a lovely lad, but his parents have a lot to answer for. I also have taught kids called Yacht, Rainbow, and River. In different schools, with different parents. Ada and Marie? Tame.
Perhaps I do think too oddly.

I think we have a troll here Edminster. Clearly ignoring why Ada Marie would be nerdy and instead going for "in general they are normal names" displays a lack of intelligence which a teacher couldn't (or shouldn't?) have.'

Also, on topic: I also thought the joke was a little cramped - I scratched my head and wondered. (Which is a thing I've been doing for years while studying philosophy - self, reality, ethics, fundamental physics, linguistics, all surrounded with lame student jokes...it should have prepared me well enough for this joke)
Bard

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Bard wrote:Also, on topic: I also thought the joke was a little cramped - I scratched my head and wondered. (Which is a thing I've been doing for years while studying philosophy - self, reality, ethics, fundamental physics, linguistics, all surrounded with lame student jokes...it should have prepared me well enough for this joke)

Studying philosophy is great. At the end of your degree, you can use it to get a job teaching more people philosophy. Isn't it magical?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Previous

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2