Bozo-nuclear

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

Bozo-nuclear

Postby a1s » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:32 am

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3767

I don't get this joke. What is Bozo-Nuclear supposed to be a reference to? (is it bosons?) Are clowns radioactive? Why magnesium? Literally nothing, other than the title text, is comprehensible to me in this joke.
a1s

Re: Bozo-nuclear

Postby Sahan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:50 pm

The number of clowns in the car reaches critical mass. Uncontrolled chain reaction due to nuclear fission. Death.
Destructicus wrote:Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Postby WORKSNAKES » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:41 pm

If the three panels devoted to parachuting clowns was trimmed to allow for more car loading panels, then that may have helped. But it still would have been too vague. A good writer should be able to get their point across despite the high complexity of the content.[*]
WORKSNAKES

Postby a1s » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 am

Sahan wrote:The number of clowns in the car reaches critical mass. Uncontrolled chain reaction due to nuclear fission. Death.

Clowns (not being radioactive) don't have a critical mass. And the red-button picture implies that it's nuclear fusion. With all due respect, I don't think your reading of the comic is correct.
That, or y'know, I'm way overthinking it. :roll:
a1s

Postby Apocalyptus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:26 pm

a1s wrote:
Sahan wrote:The number of clowns in the car reaches critical mass. Uncontrolled chain reaction due to nuclear fission. Death.

Clowns (not being radioactive) don't have a critical mass.

Yes, this constitutes what is known as a "joke".
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Postby Kaharz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Apocalyptus wrote:
a1s wrote:

And clowns are radioactive. They just aren't fissile. At least as far as we know, I don't think anyone has tested it.*

*the last sentence is also a joke. Not a very good one, but still a joke. And yes, I may be nitpicking, but fight pedantry with pedantry.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Postby hamjudo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:05 pm

WORKSNAKES wrote:... But it still would have been too vague. A good writer should be able to get their point across despite the high complexity of the content.[*]

That applies to some technical communication targeted at some audiences.

On the other hand, SMBC is humor designed to entertain a self selected audience. We are used to reading academic literature which is targeted at experts in the field. We are not surprised or saddened when we have to do a little research to understand something.

I prefer comics that aren't afraid to go over my head at times. This means I learn something new.

If humor that may require research scares you, may I suggest Rocky & Bullwinkle, or even SpongeBob SquarePants. Both include abundant humor, some is aimed at adults, some is aimed at children. The humor is structured so that in general the audience members who don't get a joke, won't even realize that they missed one.
hamjudo

Postby DonRetrasado » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:13 pm

hamjudo wrote:On the other hand, SMBC is humor designed to entertain a self selected audience. We are used to reading academic literature which is targeted at experts in the field. We are not surprised or saddened when we have to do a little research to understand something.

I prefer comics that aren't afraid to go over my head at times. This means I learn something new.

Yeah, like Big Bang Theory!
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Postby a1s » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Apocalyptus wrote:
a1s wrote:

I looked up "joke", as you suggested. And I have to say that if the point was to "transform a tense expectation into nothing", it has been achieved. Bravo, mr. Weiner!
a1s

Postby Lethal Interjection » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:02 am

DonRetrasado wrote:
hamjudo wrote:On the other hand, SMBC is humor designed to entertain a self selected audience. We are used to reading academic literature which is targeted at experts in the field. We are not surprised or saddened when we have to do a little research to understand something.

I laughed at this, at least!

Stupid fucking Big Bang Theory.
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Postby Sentient AI » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 am

Lethal Interjection wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:

I laughed at this, at least!

Stupid fucking Big Bang Theory.

*laugh track*
Sentient AI

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2