[9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby bobusdoleus » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Help. I feel like a dumb. I do not understand this comic even slightly.
bobusdoleus
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Kaharz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:28 pm

One question that may be on a bioethics exam would concern animal testing.* So I assume instead of giving their own answer, the student is just going to agree with the professor. I'm just guessing that is the point. It isn't a very good joke.

*for medical purposes, since medicine and scientific research is mostly what bioethics is concerned with. Not whether a new mascara will irritate a rabbit's eyes.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:37 pm

I read it as the student being the animal subject in question being "tested" and that's how they avoid the exam.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Old Red Biscuit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:08 am

That's how I read it as well. The test he's about to take is for non-medical purposes, and he's tricked the teacher into saying she doesn't agree with that. Most amusing.
Old Red Biscuit
 

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Kaharz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 am

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I read it as the student being the animal subject in question being "tested" and that's how they avoid the exam.


Probably a better interpretation than mine.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby bobusdoleus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Thanks a lot! I feel more with it and hip to the doo-dad now.
bobusdoleus
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby walkerite » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm

And the mouseover text demonstrates that the difference is that the student is taking the exam voluntarily, unlike the 100 million+ beings we 'sacrifice' to ourselves every year.
walkerite
 

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 pm

walkerite wrote:And the mouseover text demonstrates that the difference is that the student is taking the exam voluntarily, unlike the 100 million+ beings we 'sacrifice' to ourselves every year.

wat.
(for the record, mine just says "The only downside was the F.")
Guest
 

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby walkerite » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:33 am

Re: Guest - If a student doesn't wish to take a test, they just fail. If a non-human animal doesn't wish to take a test, they'll be starved or beaten until they do, then killed when they are of no more use to their experimenters. I.e. this comic hinges on the different contexts of the word 'test'.
walkerite
 

Re: [9-15-2015] Bio-ethics Final

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:55 pm

walkerite wrote: this comic hinges on the different contexts of the word 'test'.

Well, I got that. What you should have said is that your reading hinges of the context of the word 'downside'. i.e "I had to endure this much punishment" vs. "I had to endure this little punishment". Thank you for explaining it though.
Guest
 


Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests