[2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby zambob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 am

Hmm, I thought the comic had a high number of gay couples and non-white people because Zach basically throws a dart at a dartboard to determine sex and ethnicity of each character.

I don't see why this is a bad thing.
zambob
 

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby DonRetrasado » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:10 am

zambob wrote:Hmm, I thought the comic had a high number of gay couples and non-white people because Zach basically throws a dart at a dartboard to determine sex and ethnicity of each character.

I don't see why this is a bad thing.

Well you see it's a totally natural physiological reaction to feel overwhelming waves of nausea at having to see two gay people in the same room, apparently
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby Kaharz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:40 pm

I don't see how there being more gay or interacial couples detracts. It is still obvious they are romantic partners. If they weren't, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

I also don't see how an aversion to homosexual relationships is an evolutionary response. I'm pretty sure it is based on social mores and not some evolved biological mechanism. Intercourse between same sex mammals is not exactly unheard of. There is a drive to reproduce, but having sex that won't lead to reproduction is not actually maladaptive. Especially in a species that derives pleasure from the act, is fertile year round, and has evolved a very resource intensive method for gestating, birthing, and raising young that naturally limits the amount of offspring that can be successfully brought to maturity. More gay men just means there is less competition for me. As a heterosexual male I should be 'repulsed' by homosexual women since I can not reproduce with them and not care at all about homosexual men. Evolution also doesn't lead to perfectly efficient adaptations, it just leads to ones that are good enough.

As far as the virtue signalling, meh. There are many possible reasons that Zach chooses to 'over represent' homosexual couples besides 'hey look how progressive I am.' You are assuming it is virtue signalling. Perhaps he over represents because most media under represents. Or maybe Zach just has a lot of gay friends. Maybe he picks at random. Maybe it is just more fun for him to draw gay couples. Even if it is virtue signalling, there is nothing wrong with signalling your values. Almost everyone does it because almost everyone wants to be included in groups they identify with and want to surround themselves with people who have values similar to theirs.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby Kit. » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Voice of Raisin wrote:It's a legit observation. No, SMBC doesn't have to reflect reality,

I don't know about your reality, but here on Earth there is more sex between different species than between different genders.

If we count bacteria, of course.
Kit.
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:22 am

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby DonRetrasado » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Kaharz's actual serious response is good but I'll add that someone actually counted the number of homosexual couples in a year-long time window of SMBC:

Francois wrote:Not giving a fuck + time to waste = data

Here we go (from April 19 2015 to june 05 2016)

Couple, on a date, or some weird sex shit

Hétéro: 42
Homo: 8
Homo in simulated reallity: 2
Otter people: 1
Alien: 3
All characters from star wars at the same time: 1
Unseen people and a spoon: 1
BDSM threesome with two politicians: 1
Pinocchio:1

Family:

Hétéro couple with children: 17
Homo couple with children: 0
Dad with children: 28
Mom with children: 17
Mom with kid and children: 1
Satanist aunt with children: 1

So not only is it ridiculous to get upset at how many gay couples there are in SMBC (who goes to a pride parade and thinks "TOO MANY GAYS"?), it's also a nonsense claim because there really aren't that many gay couples in SMBC.

There's a really strange pattern of people reading SMBC, getting upset about having to look at The Gays, and then complaining about it on the forums for no good reason.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 pm

DonRetrasado wrote:So not only is it ridiculous to get upset at how many gay couples there are in SMBC (who goes to a pride parade and thinks "TOO MANY GAYS"?), it's also a nonsense claim because there really aren't that many gay couples in SMBC.

There's a really strange pattern of people reading SMBC, getting upset about having to look at The Gays, and then complaining about it on the forums for no good reason.


There's also a subset of people who seem to be pointing this out every time I grace a latest comic discussion thread with my presence. Excellent, looks like everyone's pattern-recognition processes are in order. I think you fellas should calm down, you're getting awfully defensive over a non-issue. Of course, it's a non-issue for both sides of the argument, but DR is obviously escalating. Calm your tits, mate.
This thread should really have been capped off at:

Yes, because comics on the internet are supposed to be perfect representations of our society. Who cares?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby DonRetrasado » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm making fun of them because I'm tired of having this discussion you goof
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby Kaharz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Pigpooballs.jpg
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:48 am

DonRetrasado wrote:Do you hate seeing gay people?


DonRetrasado wrote:I just thought it was strange that they didn't like to see gay people. Maybe they find them immoral, or that they shouldn't exist in media. If that's your opinion, then you probably wouldn't like SMBC.


Good one. You have an amazing deadpan. I could almost have believed that you were dead serious. Also, if you're tired of having this discussion then... don't?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby Apocalyptus » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am

Come on mate, you seem to be getting a bit directive of how other people should be conducting themselves in this discussion, which while aquiring a sarcastic tone is still staying pretty darn civil.
If you personally think it's a non issue, great, you can ignore the thread or just skim it or whatever.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5297
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: [2016-09-26] Rough Sex

Postby GUTCHUCKER » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm enjoying myself. I will take your criticism on board, however.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.
User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
 
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Previous

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests