[2016 12-2] Law of Social Media

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

StCredZero

[2016 12-2] Law of Social Media

Post by StCredZero »

Actually, Xeno was dumb, because look, I'm way faster than a turtle!

(According to Simplicius, Diogenes the Cynic said nothing upon hearing Zeno's arguments, but stood up and walked, in order to demonstrate the falsity of Zeno's conclusions)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_pa ... of_Cilicia

EtOH

Re: [2016 12-2] Law of Social Media

Post by EtOH »

"Does the Barber who shaves all those who do not shave themselves shave himself?"

Yes, obviously. He couldn't not shave himself, but the scenario does nothing to establish that the un-self-shaven are his only cliental. "Does the man who eats all of the doughnuts eat anything else?" - quite possibly, and so the Barber may shave himself, and anyone else who lets him.

Meerlot

Post by Meerlot »

I don't think there's a paradox at all: Being the barber who shaves all who do not shave themselves is not influenced by shaving someone who shaves himself, i.e. the barber who shaves all who do not shave themselves. There would be a "paradox" if we were talking about "the barber who only shaves all who do not shave themselves". In that case any answer is valid, because the answer is derived from a false statement. False logically implies any answer.

wut

Post by wut »

The wording used in the comic prevents this from actually being a paradox. The question should require that the barber "shaves all those, and those only, who do not shave themselves."

Removal of the "all" leads to the following logically:
If Yes:
The barber must shave himself, but he cannot, as he only shaves those who do no shave themselves. This is a contradiction and cannot be true.

If no:
The barber simply does not shave himself. There is nothing in the statement as-presented which prevents him from being shaved by someone else. This could be true, so we do not have a paradox.

Random_Guy

Post by Random_Guy »

What you have all been saying is perfectly correct; however, you have missed one vital point... You are in the comic!

On a completely different note of equally dubious sanity: this sort of "paradox" amuses me as much for their unintended implications.

Consider the barber who shaves all those who do not shave themselves. Whether or not he shaves himself is irrelevant. Far more interesting is his crazy rampage across the universe forcibly shaving all sentient beings, regardless of gender, willingness, or ability to grow hair. Probably in alphabetical order.

axsvl77

Post by axsvl77 »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3657

Covers how to resolve the barber paradox.

SEE

Post by SEE »

I remember when we were presented with the Barber Paradox in fifth grade. Our consensus conclusion was that the barber was a woman, and therefore wasn't one of the "all the men" who either shaved themselves or had the barber shave them.

josefkyce

Post by josefkyce »

Is this some sort of barber related riddle or something else? I even checked out http://taylorlegalnc.com/ in the hopes that I'll know what this means. Unfortunately, I still have no idea at all.