[2018-05-07] Soulmate

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Tony

[2018-05-07] Soulmate

Post by Tony »

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/soulmate

The researchers' findings don't take equity theory into account. I might fantasize about partnering with one of the 7,600 (0.0001%) far more "powerful, attractive, wealthy, brilliant, and kind" than I, but in real life I would be much less likely to feel blissful contentment than crippling self-loathing, oppressive guilt at denying my partner a more fulfilling relationship, and sheer terror knowing that many millions of people would gladly kill me to take my place.

Kit.

Re: [2018-05-07] Soulmate

Post by Kit. »

Or you might fantasize about feeling inequity, but in real life would believe that your partnership was well deserved.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Kit. wrote:Or you might fantasize about feeling inequity, but in real life would believe that your partnership was well deserved.
True. Regardless, I'm reasonably certain that I would lose out to one of the 76,000 (0.001%) far more powerful, attractive, wealthy, brilliant, and pathologically evil than I.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat »

I feel like the real long term answer to this problem would have been cloning the ideal mates, not trying to kill them all.
I love dad jokes.

NerillDP

Post by NerillDP »

What about creating a machine to BE our soulmate. Although with a soulmate working/thinking/observing at 'teraquad' speeds, I expect Turing machine disappointment in nano-seconds. Oh well, longer than my first marriage.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat »

NerillDP wrote:What about creating a machine to BE our soulmate. Although with a soulmate working/thinking/observing at 'teraquad' speeds, I expect Turing machine disappointment in nano-seconds. Oh well, longer than my first marriage.
Reproduction would kind of be challenging with that route.
I love dad jokes.

monney

Post by monney »

Fantastic blog. Reading your articles was enjoyable. For me trap the cat, this was a really enjoyable book. I have it bookmarked and am eager to read more things from it. Continue your wonderful effort!