[2018 09-18] Modern Epic

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

StCredZero

[2018 09-18] Modern Epic

Post by StCredZero »

It's like having the 47 Ronin make lattes at Starbucks every morning, but then use sick days and weekends to restore honor to their master.
I would so totally watch that anime! The spirits of the 47 Ronin are resurrected as wraiths and summoned in an alternate universe in a climactic nercromantic battle. A powerful sorcerer banishes the 47 Ronin wraiths, and they end up incarnated in our dimension on Earth, where they have physical bodies they must maintain. One of them lucks out with a job at Starbucks and they all end up as baristas. They then use their sick days and weekends on a quest to restore honor to return to the battle and restore honor to their master.
Perhaps we are ALL heroes now.
And when everyone's super, no one is.

We are all in possession of powers even the monarch of England didn't have 500 years ago. Using the amazing ability to potentially send a viral message instantly around the entire world at unimaginable speeds, potentially to 100's of millions of people, would've been a heroic action back then. Now it's just womp-womp. Something even losers do because they have nothing better to do.

Someday, perhaps people will feel sorry for someone who takes a resuable rocket to Mars. Maybe it will be the equivalent to driving to a dock in Nyack.

monswine

Re: [2018 09-18] Modern Epic

Post by monswine »

These comics are very funny but I question what sort of superhero movie these children have been watching since secret identities and day jobs haven't been featured much in the recent flicks.

glittalogik

Post by glittalogik »

Has anyone else listened to Dr Awkward's 'Now Hiring'? The first verse includes:
About me, I'm humanity's savior
Vanilla ice cream is my favorite flavor
And I work a 9 to 5
So I'd like to fight crime from like 6 to 9

Endplanets

Post by Endplanets »

Meh, that seems like a pretty cool comment on American culture. It harkens all the way back to the Founding Fathers who revered great Roman generals who would save their country and then go back to being a simple farmer. And how Washington originally didn't want to be a politician/king despite being the one in charge of the military.
How greatness and power should be used to help others and then the hero fucks off and lets the the rescued person just live their life instead of lording it over them. Heroes only need to have expensive CGI fights if there is a villain. Spider Man's best days are when he helps a cat out of a tree instead of stopping a bank robbery. When the need for a hero vanishes so does the hero as the hero is mature enough to not outstay their welcome. Half the time heroes team up something bad happens because they were stockpiling weapons or concentrating power and afterwards the heroes limiting their power.
Superman saves a randy from falling to his death, and then goes home to his middle class apartment like a pleeb and pays his parking tickets on time like the rest of us. Now that's a hero.
Our heroes are WAaaaay better than the heroes of old.

StCredZero

Post by StCredZero »

Endplanets wrote:Superman saves a randy from falling to his death, and then goes home to his middle class apartment like a pleeb and pays his parking tickets on time like the rest of us. Now that's a hero.
One of the editors of Dr. Dobb's Journal once confessed to this. He was doing a programming contract for city government, but the paperwork was fouled up, and he didn't get his city exemption to park on the street, so he could park on the street. As it so happened he was working on the system that issued the parking tickets, so he just deleted his tickets and coded himself an exemption.

He didn't necessarily pay his parking tickets on time. Is he a real-life superhero with a real life superpower?

Post by Guest »

StCredZero wrote:
Endplanets wrote:Superman saves a randy from falling to his death, and then goes home to his middle class apartment like a pleeb and pays his parking tickets on time like the rest of us. Now that's a hero.
One of the editors of Dr. Dobb's Journal once confessed to this. He was doing a programming contract for city government, but the paperwork was fouled up, and he didn't get his city exemption to park on the street, so he could park on the street. As it so happened he was working on the system that issued the parking tickets, so he just deleted his tickets and coded himself an exemption.

He didn't necessarily pay his parking tickets on time. Is he a real-life superhero with a real life superpower?
Nope. Dude broke the law by illegal altering ticketing system. Extremely mild, but criminal. And morally his actions benefiting himself without hurting or helping society renders it neutral morally. And for sure not heroic.
Now if you want to get extremely, super nerdily, ultra deep into morality systems he did a very mild villainous act by refusing to fight a problem in society (paperwork getting fouled up) because it didn't bother him due to his unique circumstances means that the others who have the problem will continue to suffer due to him not fighting it. The easiest way to explain what I just said is to use the example
{the government discriminates against minority X but I am not in that minority so I don't notice so I don't fight it so the system never changes so minorities keep getting discriminated against}
{health care is expensive, but I am rich so I don't notice so I don't fight it, so heath care stays expensive which is bad}

Superman saves the world but doesn't let it go to his head so when he gets a parking ticket he pays it because he thinks himself equal to the everyday pleeb. And if his parking ticket was unfair due to botched paperwork but had an easy out he would heroically refuse that easy out and fight to change the corrupt system so that the other everyday pleebs don't get screwed over too. You know, on a really slow crime week where he wasn't stopping giant talking gorillas or wasn't busy being dead or something.