[2019-10-07] Graph Day!

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderator: Kimra

[2019-10-07] Graph Day!

Postby RecoveringCatholic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Hey, it's "Graph Day" at my two favorite web comics:

Who got up first this morning? Randall or Zach?
RecoveringCatholic

Re: [2019-10-07] Graph Day!

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:10 pm

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/time-3

I'm pretty sure xkcd posted a lot earlier than SMBC.

Also, both of these graphs bug me:
xkcd's isn't sorted sensibly as far as I can tell and doesn't make any sense as a graph. Some items might converge into smartphones and then diverge back into dedicated devices - for example, TV remotes could be replaced by smartphones with IR blasters, which was a common feature on Android phones for a good while. However, that feature was removed from newer phones, necessitating a switch back to the dedicated remote. And now with smart TVs becoming more common, smartphones can control them again (albeit, in my case at least, less effectively than the dedicated remote).
It also makes no sense for the items to be connected like they are. This should, at best, be a bar graph.

SMBC's graph is actually sensible... I wanted to complain that the amount of time travel gained per jump backwards is inconsistent, but after a second look I see that all the diagonal lines are parallel to each other (more or less) so it is consistent.

----

This is 100% true, and this includes Randall:
https://xkcd.com/630/

NeatNit

Postby pinkpuppy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 pm

What nags at me is the sane choice for units would make the time travel segments be at 45 degrees....
pinkpuppy

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm

pinkpuppy wrote:What nags at me is the sane choice for units would make the time travel segments be at 45 degrees....

That one's easy: the horizontal and vertical axes don't have the same scale.

I dare anyone to come up with a story that matches that graph.
NeatNit

Postby Placeholder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Code: Select all
A. John creates a Time Travel Machine prototype

B. An accident occurs which John can use to prove the effectiveness of Time Travel, spends time studying circumstances and planning his actions

C. John successfully returns to the point of the accident, and prevents it

D. After polishing the Time Travel Device, John auctions it off to a private corporation

E. John watches helplessly as the corporation goes on to market the device to governments, who use the device for preemptive war. He decides to go back and stop it before it started

F. John returns to his lab, destroys the documentation and all the equipment used to construct the Machine. He keeps the prototype, but swears never to use Time Travel again

G. John meets Jane, a love interest who rekindles his appreciation of the good in the world

H. Jane gets into a tragic accident, and despite his oath, he goes back to save her

I. The world is engulfed in flames as nuclear devices world wide are launched indiscriminantly. John goes back, alone, to try and stop this new threat to the world

J. John returns to his workshop, acquiring backups of the Time Travel Device plans to improve the prototype he kept. He then begins extensive research and study into the cause of the global crisis in the future

K. Having lost himself in his work, and with outlooks looking bleak and leads drawing thin, he stumbles upon an old newspaper article of the crash Jane died in, and remembers why he was doing all this in the first place

L. Goes back in time to save Jane, and lets her in on everything. Together, they work on following leads and finding the cause of everything

M. Finding everything they needed to know, Jane watches for herself as the world is destroyed, before they both go back to execute their plan to save the world

Variance in the slope of diagonals could be attributed to the mass of objects being transported. This also explains slight positive slopes in forward time as being instances where information alone is transported as opposed to mass.
Placeholder

Postby NeatNit » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Placeholder wrote:Image

B. An accident occurs which John can use to prove the effectiveness of Time Travel, spends time studying circumstances and planning his actions

D. After polishing the Time Travel Device, John auctions it off to a private corporation

E. John watches helplessly as the corporation goes on to market the device to governments, who use the device for preemptive war. He decides to go back and stop it before it started

F. John returns to his lab, destroys the documentation and all the equipment used to construct the Machine. He keeps the prototype, but swears never to use Time Travel again

G. John meets Jane, a love interest who rekindles his appreciation of the good in the world

H. Jane gets into a tragic accident, and despite his oath, he goes back to save her

I. The world is engulfed in flames as nuclear devices world wide are launched indiscriminantly. John goes back, alone, to try and stop this new threat to the world

J. John returns to his workshop, acquiring backups of the Time Travel Device plans to improve the prototype he kept. He then begins extensive research and study into the cause of the global crisis in the future

K. Having lost himself in his work, and with outlooks looking bleak and leads drawing thin, he stumbles upon an old newspaper article of the crash Jane died in, and remembers why he was doing all this in the first place

L. Goes back in time to save Jane, and lets her in on everything. Together, they work on following leads and finding the cause of everything

M. Finding everything they needed to know, Jane watches for herself as the world is destroyed, before they both go back to execute their plan to save the world

Variance in the slope of diagonals could be attributed to the mass of objects being transported. This also explains slight positive slopes in forward time as being instances where information alone is transported as opposed to mass.

Bravo!! I hereby award you 12,645,092 points.

I want this turned into a movie now.
NeatNit

Postby Collie8282 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 pm

NeatNit wrote:
Placeholder wrote:Image

Bravo!! I hereby award you 12,645,092 points.

I want this turned into a movie now.

You're in luck, Steins;Gate is already pretty close to this.
Collie8282

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2