[2019-11-17] Cooking

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

[2019-11-17] Cooking

Postby RecoveringCatholic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/cooking

Oddly enough, that's how you learn to cook, and there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It's exacty how I learned.

First, you slavishly follow the instructions, right down to the fractional teaspoon (or milligram for the Rest of the World).

Then, at some point, you start a recipe, end up halfway through and you suddenly realize, oh, crud, you're out of rutabagas but you have some turnips and you substitute.

Hmmm. . . that turned out okay.

I'm now to the point where I'll type a few ingredients into the browser search, see what comes up, skim two or three recipes, and then wing it from there.

Sometimes I'll print out a list of ingredients so I don't forget something important but usually, I don't even bother with that, since I know more or less what goes with what.

Cooking is more about learning technique than it is recipes. Once you manage to learn a few basic techniques, the rest is just variations on the theme.

A quick followup to underscore what I mean:

This literally happened a few minutes ago. I was going to make bran muffins for breakfast and to share with my partner's 93 year old mom.

I was halfway through the prep and. . . oops! The bran had become a colony of pantry moth larvae. My choice was to wait a half hour for the store to open or wing it.

Hm. What do I have around? Ah! Oatmeal, and it's just fine!

So, instead of bran muffins, Mom's getting oatmeal muffins. Not half bad, either. I think I like them better than the bran muffins.
RecoveringCatholic

Re: [2019-11-17] Cooking

Postby morat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:46 pm

It's not that there's anything to be ashamed of for being a beginner at cooking. It's more that his houseguest drastically overestimates how difficult cooking is and he doesn't want to let himself seem less impressive than she's assumed he is.

The thing is, people who don't cook overestimate the difficulty of cooking to such an extreme degree that even the truth would still be impressive. "Yeah, it's just some recipe I found, nothing special" sounds just as impressive as bragging about substitutions if you're talking to someone who doesn't cook, because they won't even realize that understanding how flavors fit together is the hard part.
morat

Postby NeatNit » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Title text: He found the five star recipe for Easy to Draw Green Stuff.

I hereby offer a bounty: 5 stars for the best - and easiest to draw - Green Stuff recipe!
NeatNit

Postby GP1935 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Green stuff-

favorite greens (turnip, spinach, kale, beet greens, whatever)
sautee chopped garlic (how much? lots.) in olive oil or butter. brown, don't burn it.

add greens, sautee till wilted. if tough like kale, cook longer.

Nackle and pepper to taste. extra butter? sure, won't hurt at all. have fun.

done. yummy.

Pro version- add caramelized onions 1st, then start as written. add dash of fresh grated nutmeg, just a touch, at the end.

multiple people have told me "I thought I didn't like (insert green leaf here)!"
GP1935

Postby GP1935 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:20 pm

should read Nackle and Pepper to taste. How that typo happened I'll never know.
GP1935

Postby GP1935 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:21 pm

ooohhhh. OK
GP1935

Postby LizBert » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Easy-to-draw green stuff is vintage gastronomy of the comics world! Calvin's mom = Julia Child of it.
LizBert

Postby cellocgw » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:52 pm

If you Google for things like 'set the clock on your VCR," you'll soon realize that it is the rare person who can actually understand and follow the directions in a recipe.
So this guy is pretty rad right from the get-go.
cellocgw

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2