[2019-11-23] Clouds

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

[2019-11-23] Clouds

Postby ckridge » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 pm

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/clouds-2

If the joke here is intended to be that the robot has scientific knowledge rather than imagination:

"rend the ground with violence" attributes agency

"water the thinnest of orchids" attributes intention

"a dance of uncountable points" is fanciful. They don't really dance.

"hung under a blue star" supposes a cosmic decorator hanging things.

I leave "infinite ripples borne on invisible fields, stretching beyond human sight, journeying wherever the great first motion told them to go" as an exercise for the reader.

The robot is hanging great nets of fancy on a few wires of science. It clearly has more imagination, though perhaps no more originality, than the human.

But then what is the joke? That robots will, for some unspecified reason, be more imaginative?
Last edited by NeatNit on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add link to comic
ckridge

*doh*

Postby cat <<^@ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:56 am

ckridge wrote:If the joke here is intended to be that the robot has scientific knowledge rather than imagination:
[blah blah blah]

Well, obviously that is not the joke then. I think it is more that the robot is more an all-round renaissance-over-man without even being a man: He is better at being a man than the man. Given that Zach knows the etymology of robot ( = worker) --- well I guess this is just more of Zach trying to push his Marxist agenda on innocent children with unsuspecting parents who think their little Johnny is merely reading safe, harmless, wholesomely patriotic comics the whole family comics. Little do they know.

Also, I'd just like to say, none of those things are unscientific. They have gone out style in most modern scientific writings; but the style on one's writing does neither break nor make the science.
cat <<^@

Re: [2019-11-23] Clouds

Postby Dandere » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I fixed this nightmarishly dystopian vision of artificially intelligent machines.

Dandere

Postby Dandere » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm

AlixeTiir wrote:idontgetit.jpg

It's cuter now. There's nothing else to get.

Well, also. that by giving the robot a face with emotion, it goes from a soulless machine describing its soulless thoughts in spiritual terms that as per the button wouldn't feel bad during the humanicide to something experiencing a different, more encompassing kind of wonder that presumably would feel bad and might even donate clock cycles to the Red Cross, without actually changing the dialogue.

But that's incidental to being cute.
Dandere

Postby Captain Pedantic » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm so sorry, I can't help myself.... There are no ionic bonds in water, water is held together by covalent bonds... <phew> I feel better now.
Captain Pedantic

Chief Pedant

Postby cat <<^@ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:40 am

Dandere wrote:Well, also. that by giving the robot a face with emotion, it goes from a soulless machine describing its soulless thoughts in spiritual terms that as per the button wouldn't feel bad during the humanicide to something experiencing a different, more encompassing kind of wonder that presumably would feel bad and might even donate clock cycles to the Red Cross, without actually changing the dialogue.

The robot was a metaphor for the overman prolet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejdUzBa1xQ8
cat <<^@

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2