[2019-12-27] Commute

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

[2019-12-27] Commute

Postby HikaruYami » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:13 pm

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/commute

No mathematician would make this mistake... because he said then, clearly indicating that this is a sequence of actions rather than a set of actions.

If he had simply said "Help me put this condom on and we'll make love", it'd be a much more understandable mistake, since it could be interpreted either as a set or as an & operation, neither of which order matters for ;P
HikaruYami

Re: [2019-12-27] Commute

Postby NeatNit » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:04 am

I didn't get this one.
NeatNit
[Insert Here]

Postby RyanW » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:47 pm

NeatNit wrote:Image

I didn't get this one.

Yeah. I realized pretty quickly that it wouldn't make sense until the next comic was posted.
RyanW

Postby Hikarizu » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Was the button always about rolling boulders? I feel like it was something else and was changed, probably by mistake, when the next strip came out.
Hikarizu

Postby Rat » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Hikarizu wrote:Was the button always about rolling boulders? I feel like it was something else and was changed, probably by mistake, when the next strip came out.

It was like this yesterday morning, when I first read it, well before the next comic was posted. Do you have any feeling about the joke that it was prior to the change? I'm kinda curious what it [c|sh]ould have been.
Now a confirmed Bayesian monist.
Rat

Postby Hikarizu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:42 am

Seems it got noticed and changed.
Hikarizu

Postby Rat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks! Now all of that joke is hilarious. "Is that procedure commutative?" is my new catchphrase. I won't associate that with a question about associativity as people would associate that with something else.
Rat

Postby Rat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:19 am

HikaruYami wrote:https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/commute

No mathematician would make this mistake... because he said then, clearly indicating that this is a sequence of actions rather than a set of actions.

If he had simply said "Help me put this condom on and we'll make love", it'd be a much more understandable mistake, since it could be interpreted either as a set or as an & operation, neither of which order matters for ;P

I completely missed this the first time around; apparently my interest was limited to the red button image. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the mathematician quite clearly asks if the order can be reversed. The whole point is that she is questioning the relevance of his use of 'then', presumably to have more enjoyable sex. Then, when he doesn't understand the question, mathematicians procreate. Well, one of 'em does, and there's no mistake about it, not on her part. The "are conceived" is much more debatable, even if you interpret it as a synonym for "get knocked up".

(Well, it is Saturday morning.)
Rat

Return to Latest Comic Discussion 3: Revenge of the Son of Latest Comic Discussion 2