[2020-08-27] More trolleys

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

hmijail

[2020-08-27] More trolleys

Post by hmijail »

I read the tooltip text as "I read about this idea in the abstract, but now I can't find the paper", and I thought it was the brilliant-est pun I ever read.

I shall find a way to use it.

cellocgw

Re: [2020-08-27] More trolleys

Post by cellocgw »

There is only one optimum trolley solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

dorkstar

Post by dorkstar »

The thing about self driving cars is that they follow the speed limits, which usually allows them to slowly pull to a stop when encountering an obstacle in the road. The problems that people come up with tend to sound like: a couch falls off the back of a truck, should the car veer left and cut off a semi or right and cut off a motorcycle? In reality, the self driving car does not swerve either direction. It stops as it can or should to minimize risk.

This brings me to my second point on the trolley problems. Most people find my personal approach to the trolley problems very problematic. As I am neither a trolley conductor nor an executioner, I am very hesitant to touch a trolley lever at all. I can't blame myself for situations in which people die because I did not construct these situations.

These two previous conclusions bring me to a final point of existential contradiction. Humanity seems to be absolutely bent on its own destruction; displacing the natural environment, filling the oceans with trash, burning down forests to create farmland, and changing the climate will all eventually bring this massive population growth to a halt. I think the analogy of the Titanic is perfect because many people, even engineers, thought the ship was literally unsinkable. They didn't have any physical models for an iceberg that might strike the hull with enough momentum to break it. There are even some circles that still speculate the ship was sunk with terrorist intent, despite the evidence.

I think the reason that people are so afraid of sentient computers or aliens like Thanos is because they are aware of the logical answers to humanity's conundrum. The only way to save countless lives in the future is to deny current humans a certain number of resources or space. We really don't have to kill anyone, we just have to eat less meat, create less trash, and have fewer children. However, we are selfish, and few would throw themselves (or maybe their life's savings) on the trolley tracks to save any number of babies. If anything wanted to kill off humanity, aliens or AI, it wouldn't have much of a task, it would just have to wait. The self driving car suicide may seem like a beautiful gesture, but I think it's a ruse.

hmijail

Post by hmijail »

As I am neither a trolley conductor
Solved with a 15-second chat: "hey I'm going to pee while you enjoy the view, if something happens (which it won't) you can stop with this button and change tracks with this other button, BRB"
I can't blame myself for situations in which people die because I did not construct these situations.
And you can always allege that you were only following orders or something!

anndsien

Post by anndsien »

It's always fun to discover clever puns and incorporate them into your incredibox own language. Just remember to use them in appropriate contexts and with the right audience. Not everyone may appreciate a pun as much as you do!

Andreaa23ew

Post by Andreaa23ew »

cellocgw wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:25 pm
There is only one optimum trolley solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4
A great solution, retro bowl thank you for sharing with us

donkyhote

Post by donkyhote »

Car Games are video games that simulate driving or racing vehicles. They can vary in gameplay, from realistic racing simulations to arcade-style games with exaggerated physics and gameplay mechanics. Some car games also include elements of car customization, such as modifying the engine, body, and paint job of the vehicle. Car games can be played on various platforms, including consoles, PC, and mobile devices. They are popular among gamers who enjoy the thrill of speed and competition.

nytimes

Post by nytimes »

Great article. I've been checking this blog constantly and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information, especially the last part where wheel spinner made me process a lot of information. I have been looking for this information for a long time. thanks and good luck! nytimes crossword

marry68

Post by marry68 »

What a great article! Thank you so much and I really look forward to reading more articles from you. In addition, I am the administrator of the site run 3 Why don't you visit my website and we can discuss more great topics?