Pieces of Stories

I… I don't know! way to put me on the spot!

Moderator: Kimra

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Pieces of Stories

Post by Kimra »

Anyone who wants to brainstorm or post any bits of story and idea they've been working on so far, this is the tread for it.

Enjoy.
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Re: Pieces of Stories

Post by Felstaff »

So, they find this incomplete dinosaur-like skeleton in Chad, but after extensive analysis and carbon dating, they decide it is actually the skeleton of a dragon that existed only a few hundred thousand years ago. Suddenly: DRAGON HUNT!

Then, using advanced Science™, they can piece together the dragons' movements and migration patterns etc., and locate a nest, where a host of slaughtered dragons' remains are, along with archaic weaponry and humanoid ("missing link") skeletons. The battle, and events leading up to it, are archaeologised. Or something. Not sure where I'm going from this point, but it would be totally fun.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Sounds awesome. : ) I love dragon stories. Especially when cleverly interwoven with the 'real now'. : D
King Prawn

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I was already planning to revisit one of the recurring Nightmareland stories about the psychopath father, and it turns out that he has a grandson and the grandson's father is kinda schizophrenic and the final chapter would be about the grandson who's having to face up to his family, and the return of the grandfather who's still kind of a dangerous dude and it's more of the family turning away from his lifestyle and coping with the problems it brings. Aside from that I was just planning on running through some of my poetry ideas.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

So let's say a guy RAPES a girl. But he does it for like, her own good. And he loves her and the situation makes it that getting raped benefits her, and now she wants to kill him. And he loves her and he's going to let her do it. HOW fucked up is it?
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

AHMETxRock wrote:So let's say a guy RAPES a girl. But he does it for like, her own good. And he loves her and the situation makes it that getting raped benefits her, and now she wants to kill him. And he loves her and he's going to let her do it. HOW fucked up is it?
What?

Also, I fail to see how getting raped will ever be of a benefit. If this is a story, you are going to lose readers in an awful hurry.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

It's supposed to be not told to you right away. Also, it totally does benefit her, cause she was totally asking for it with her outfit.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

AHMETxRock wrote:It's supposed to be not told to you right away. Also, it totally does benefit her, cause she was totally asking for it with her outfit.
Okay, then you will probably have a lot of pissed off readers when they get to that point.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

AHMETxRock wrote:So let's say a guy RAPES a girl. But he does it for like, her own good. And he loves her and the situation makes it that getting raped benefits her, and now she wants to kill him. And he loves her and he's going to let her do it. HOW fucked up is it?
I wonder if he's crossed the line from "good ol' Ahmet" to "danger seeker".
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Hey, speaking of things I probably shouldn't admit, does anyone else read Dominic Deegan? He had a storyline with essentially that same premise. It was kind of disturbing there, too.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I want to write something themed on psychological degeneration. Mostly how I want to accomplish this is to have the main characters become more and more centered on self-defeating behaviors and thoughts, maybe even being aware of the vicious cycle but still unwilling to give the effort to escape it. It's sort of a top-down approach (or bottom-up, depending on how you look at it) and kind of backwards from how I think most novels are written, but that's all I've come up with so far. I have no experience writing anything longer than a couple pages.

Another way to say it is that I want to construct some variously deficient personalities and see how they destroy themselves. Of course, since I'm a total shut-in it's going to be mostly speculative and probably very wrong about human psychology in general.

If I were to write, say, ten related mini-novels of 5,000 words each and "published" them as one work, would that qualify as an entry in Nanowrimo?
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I read it for a very long time before I started to realise that things had Gotten Weird.
sotic wrote:If I were to write, say, ten related mini-novels of 5,000 words each and "published" them as one work, would that qualify as an entry in Nanowrimo?
We don't have a lot of rules in our "local" NaNoWriMo. Mine last year was a lot of unrelated short stories and poems, so I don't see any problem with what you're doing.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

sotic wrote:I want to write something themed on psychological degeneration. Mostly how I want to accomplish this is to have the main characters become more and more centered on self-defeating behaviors and thoughts, maybe even being aware of the vicious cycle but still unwilling to give the effort to escape it. It's sort of a top-down approach (or bottom-up, depending on how you look at it) and kind of backwards from how I think most novels are written, but that's all I've come up with so far. I have no experience writing anything longer than a couple pages.

Another way to say it is that I want to construct some variously deficient personalities and see how they destroy themselves. Of course, since I'm a total shut-in it's going to be mostly speculative and probably very wrong about human psychology in general.

If I were to write, say, ten related mini-novels of 5,000 words each and "published" them as one work, would that qualify as an entry in Nanowrimo?
You are writing a forum biopic? Cool!

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Hey, speaking of things I probably shouldn't admit, does anyone else read Dominic Deegan? He had a storyline with essentially that same premise. It was kind of disturbing there, too.
Yeah, she'd be executed if he didn't 'claim' her as his wife
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Another example of "rape for her own good" in the Anita blake books. Main character gets possessed by a ghost and challenges the local werewolf pack to have sex with her - her ex-boyfriend (alpha werewolf) fucks her for her own good after she's chased through the woods and several near deaths/actual deaths of the local pack fighting to fuck her. Yeah- Anything that you can pull an example from those books is a sure sign of a failing idea.

As for my own I've got a couple I'm juggling that I haven't decided on. (and their cheesy working titles in my head)
Revisit Victor Versus Vexing Vampires and actually finishing it up- this has the advantage of being fully plotted, but feels totally like cheating since it already has ~10k words already written.
Rise and Fall - Following an adventuring group in trying to discover the undead queen of a small but violent nation's history so she can be defeated.
Fishy Doom - Actually fleshing out and completing the Detritus short story that exist here on the forum.
SpacE! - A scifi novel about aliens, human space programs, and why sometimes going camping is a bad idea.

Or who knows, maybe something else will strike me out of nowhere. Or I'll say screw it all and just write down bits and pieces I remember from my life as justification of 'its writing!' though that I'm sure will come off way to bitchy so probably not
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches