Twilight

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Asherian
Token Erisian

Re: Twilight

Post by Asherian »

I dunno.. I could never get past Lazarus Long screwing the identical twins cloned from his DNA to give the character credit ever again. I love Heinlein, but I'd rather quote a character who doesn't sleep with his mother, and himself in a relatively quick order. Even Friday with the end message of 'no matter how smart, bad ass, or otherwise equipped a woman is, she won't see herself as complete or be happy until she's spawned.' was easier for me to swallow.
Mycroft 'Mike' wrote:
What do a laser and a goldfish have in common?
Neither one can whistle.
Cause its what I remember word for word off the top of my head. Moon is a Harsh Mistress has all kinds of great quotes in it though.

Yeah.. I like the books with group marriage, still better then constant infidelity and incest of the L.L. books.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Asherian wrote:I dunno.. I could never get past Lazarus Long screwing the identical twins cloned from his DNA to give the character credit ever again. I love Heinlein, but I'd rather quote a character who doesn't sleep with his mother, and himself in a relatively quick order. Even Friday with the end message of 'no matter how smart, bad ass, or otherwise equipped a woman is, she won't see herself as complete or be happy until she's spawned.' was easier for me to swallow.
Honestly, I thought that most of the sex in his later books felt tacked on. He showed that he could write incredible stories without them, but then discovered that Sex Sells with Stranger.... As for the incest/twincest thing going on with Lazarus, I never paid that much attention; I tend to skip over sex scenes because they bore me.

As per your issue with the ending message of Friday, I saw it more as expression of the genetic imperative than anything else. If somebody with superior genes does not pass them along, the entire species suffers. Heinlein was a strong proponent of survival of mankind, so it's not an unexpected message. That said, Friday is not on my list of books that I return to for enjoyment.

Finally, the assumption that just because one person has a couple of characteristics that you find incredibly disagreeable means that everything about them can be cast aside, I find that to be incredibly distasteful. It feels something akin to disregarding incredibly wise advice from a homeless person just because they smell bad and live on the streets. When you decide that someone cannot possibly teach you anything, you permanently cut off an avenue of learning. Besides, the Lazarus quotes are just Heinlein's personal aphorisms attributed to a character.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Laneth
Plot of Hemingway and Gags

Post by Laneth »

I didn't want to bump this thread, but the more I watch "edward"'s facial expressions, the more this amuses me! I just had to share.
Laneth Sffarlenn
Almost like a memory, this phantasm has reappeared...

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Adblocked.

That Zoolander gif has seen more use than Tucker's mom.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

mountainmage wrote:Adblocked.

That Zoolander gif has seen more use than Tucker's mom.
Ah...Right. I haven't seen Zoolander, so ... yeah.
Laneth Sffarlenn

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Haven't seen...Zoolander? You lose my approval. All of it.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

You know what's really sad? I watched the Zoolander just so I could understand this reference.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Frostbite wrote:Haven't seen...Zoolander? You lose my approval. All of it.
Yeah, mine too. Even I've seen Zoolander, and I rarely ever go out to the movies.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

I'm sorry Maury. I'm not a gymnast.

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

I've seen bits and pieces...like the awesome love scene...but that's about it. I never got a chance.
Where I grew up, if my stepfather didn't approve of the movie, I didn't get a chance to see it...and we lived 40 kilometres out of town and I didn't have a car till I left home. Then, I just never found the motivation.

Since the shops are shut now I can't do anything, but to regain my honour, I shall buy Zoolander tomorrow on DVD and yes, watch it too.
Laneth Sffarlenn

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Honestly I really enjoyed Zoolander, if only for David Bowie's scene.

The thing with the computer was adorable beyond belief, and that tragic gasoline fight.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

And "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go," that song is an absolute classic.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Zoolander and Anchorman are the only movies from that group of guys that I can stand.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Responding to Ed about Heinlein. I find it hard to grok reading through Time enough for love and ignoring/skipping the sex scenes, the books chock full of it. Not to mention 3 separate cases of incest, sledge hammer style "Group marriage/casual sex is the future." Ectra. At least part of it is that sledge hammer like feel that gives me a problem with the rest of the book. Other books of his drive home All of the points you were bringing up, those were constants throughout his works. He just had Long put it in nice quotable format. Plus most of his "Sex Sells" period was referred to as "post stroke" Its was pretty much where he stopped caring how well a book sold because he was financially solid and no longer depending on the contracts with boy scouts of america and similar magazines to publish his work and pay him.

Citizen of the Galaxy has a lot of those morals, from a homeless/legless man, who manages to explain all this without being tripped by his own mother and making out with her while a younger version of himself sleeping in the back seat. I love Heinlein, greatly and much of my thought process is probably accreditable to his writings, but Lazarus Long is a creepy creepy old man.

*I don't normally listen to advice from smelly hobos because I hate them, not because they smell bad. At least this area if their panhandling on the street its their refusal to try and do anything else. Its incredible how mad they get when you give them information on shelters/programs. They are out there to steal from people who are soft hearted, not because they have to be.

hawhaw1267
Half the laugh, twice the Haw

Post by hawhaw1267 »

Glitter Vampires...
Not sure if this was discussed before, but WAY too lazy to look back and check.

But Twilight has Vampires that....glitter...in the sunlight?

If that isn't a way to call vampires gay, then I don't know what is.