John Dies at the End

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Neglected Shoe
Oceanolobiolographer? I hardly know her!

John Dies at the End

Post by Neglected Shoe »

John Dies at the End is a fantastic book about the adventures of two apathetic young men who come across a drug that is essentially a gateway to the paranormal world. It reads like a comedy, but it will horrify you as much if not more than most novels in the horror genre. While about 48% of the text is composed of dick jokes, the rest of it is engaging, entertaining, and surprisingly insightful.

The author is Jason Pargin, but nearly everyone knows him by the pseudonym of David Wong. He's the current editor of cracked.com, but he made his start in 1999 with his website PointlessWasteofTime.com (which now sadly redirects to Cracked).

He wrote John Dies at the End as an online novel, written in regularly updated installations. The completed novel was available for seven years online and in print. However, Pargin recently accepted a massive publishing deal, which forced him to remove the book from the site. It also, however, will allow him to make a good deal of money off of a very popular piece of work, and I think that's pretty awesome.

Also, there is going to be a movie.

So has anyone heard of or read this book? If you haven't, look for it in book stores later this year :)
"Someone didn't pay attention in religion class."

hawhaw1267
Half the laugh, twice the Haw

Re: John Dies at the End

Post by hawhaw1267 »

I bet I know what happens in the end...

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

So I stumbled across a couple of pages of paper on the street about a week ago, and kept one page for the heck of it. I found it again, and googling some of the names I came across, I found it belonged to the novel 'A Sparrow Falls' by Wilbur Smith.

The page I found involved a lioness being hunted, and some guy trying to protect the lioness by diverting the hunter. Anyone heard of this book or of the author and have opinions? Anyone going to answer Neglected Shoe's question?
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Never heard of it, but what does it have to do with Shoe's book?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Nothing at all, but I wanted to ask a similar question.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Untrustable

Post by Untrustable »

John Dies at the End was pretty good. I have a copy that I found at a Barnes and Noble. I thought it would be pure comedy, but it actually got pretty terrifying at points.