The Various Works of J.R.R. Tolkien

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Feedbacker

The Various Works of J.R.R. Tolkien

Post by Feedbacker »

I figure if Harry Potter gets his own thread, then Tolkien should as well.

I've been a pretty big fan of Tolkien for quite some time. I started off with the Lord of the Rings series in Junior High, and then read The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. Now I get what I can and take it all in. I find every bit of it fascinating and think that it's incredible that he spent so much time developing everything. Plus Ents are like the coolest creatures in any book, ever.

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Re: The Various Works of J.R.R. Tolkien

Post by FengharTheNord »

They don't say anything unless its something very very important to say.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

"Sheep get like shepherds, and shepherds get like sheep, but it is quicker and closer, with trees and Ents"

littleninja
kissed a girl and she liked it

Post by littleninja »

I love the Silmarillion, more than all of Tolkien's books.

Love it with all my heart.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Unfortunately, some of my books are at my mom's house, but here's part of my collection. (The ones you see are the ones I've read, sans "The Tolkien Companion" since that's just a middle earth reference book.)

From left to right: The Tolkien Companion, Tolkien (The Biography written by Humphrey Carpenter), The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales, The Book of Lost Tales 1, The Book of Lost Tales 2, The Lays of Beleriand, My 1966 leatherbound copy of The Hobbit, and My 1965 box set of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Not seen: The Return of the Shadow, The Shaping of Middle-Earth, The Lost Road and Other Writings, Treason of Isengard, Sauron Defeated, and The War of the Ring.

I'm still missing some books, but I'm broke right now. :cry:
215751.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I read the hobbit and the 3 Lord of the rings. I know the jist of the mythology he created, although I wouldn't go around and tell people about it except on the internet.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I've read the Hobbit a couple of times (not in a while, though) and the LOTR series 3 or 4 times. I have intentions of reading Simillarion, but haven't found my dad's old copy, and haven't gotten around to it.

Point of interest: The copy of LOTR that I have (taken from my Dad) was published in 1971 (the first Canadian publication of it).

Lehooo

Post by Lehooo »

I've read The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (but only in swedish, I intend to re-read them sometime in english). I also have swedish copies of The Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2, though I'm not sure if I'm a big enough fan to read those. From what I've heard, they read a bit like history books: lots of facts, not a lot of intriguing characters and plots, but maybe I've been mislead, what do you say? Do you have to be a die hard fan to enjoy all the extra books released after Tolkien's death?
LEHOism - Logical yet Eclectic while Heeding Ockham

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Lehooo wrote:I've read The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (but only in swedish, I intend to re-read them sometime in english). I also have swedish copies of The Silmarillion and the Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2, though I'm not sure if I'm a big enough fan to read those. From what I've heard, they read a bit like history books: lots of facts, not a lot of intriguing characters and plots, but maybe I've been mislead, what do you say? Do you have to be a die hard fan to enjoy all the extra books released after Tolkien's death?
I'm not sure. I thoroughly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings, but it was such a slog getting through them that I never read any of Tolkein's other works.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I hate sounding like such an uneducated moron but Tolkien is some work to get through, with the exception of The Hobbit. I only finished the first LotR book, myself, so I have trouble understanding how he's so popular when his writing is so dense and heavy. From what I understand, his unpublished works and (less so) The Silmarillion resemble in a lot of ways his own personal notes for Middle-Earth and don't make good reading material in and of themselves, so I don't really see why you'd read them unless you were a huge fan of Tolkien or Middle-Earth.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

LordRetard wrote:I hate sounding like such an uneducated moron but Tolkien is some work to get through, with the exception of The Hobbit. I only finished the first LotR book, myself, so I have trouble understanding how he's so popular when his writing is so dense and heavy. From what I understand, his unpublished works and (less so) The Silmarillion resemble in a lot of ways his own personal notes for Middle-Earth and don't make good reading material in and of themselves, so I don't really see why you'd read them unless you were a huge fan of Tolkien or Middle-Earth.
You are completely correct. I tried going through some of the subsidiary works and they are awful. And I know Simarillion is supposed to be rather dull as well, but I want to suffer through it some day, as it has a lot of interesting and religious imagery.

Lehooo

Post by Lehooo »

Hm, you seem to confirm my previous impressions of the books. By the way, has anyone else read the comic book adaptation of The Hobbit? Because you should, it's really well made, especially the art is amazing!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Lehooo wrote:Hm, you seem to confirm my previous impressions of the books. By the way, has anyone else read the comic book adaptation of The Hobbit? Because you should, it's really well made, especially the art is amazing!
Yes.
My Dad bought a copy at some point or another. It doesn't cover everything, naturally. But it was good, if I recall.

Lehooo

Post by Lehooo »

Yes it was very good, too bad they didn't decide to do The Lord of the Rings next, that could use a comic book. They haven't even made a complete set of animated films for it, have they? I remember seeing an animated film based on The Fellowship of the Ring a long time ago but if I remember correctly, they never made the next two for some reason.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

I remember seeing the animated Hobbit film and that thing was kind of awful, so that might be why. Also a set of graphic novels for LotR would be fantastically long.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.