Stephen King

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Stephen King

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:Well I don't know - maybe when they finally invent a good ebook reader that's not exorbitantly expensive I will be more willing to read novels off of a screen, til then I guess I'm just an old fogie trapped in a young nerd's body.
My eyesight is dying as it is. I don't want to encourage it's premature death by reading too much on the compy. Bad enough all my university notes are online.
King Prawn

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Aye. Also my adobe acrobat reader has decided to act like a real jerk lately. I have to spend 5 minutes trying to outsmart my computer everytime I want to open any pdf file. It's beginning to piss me off quite a bit.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Sahan wrote:Aye. Also my adobe acrobat reader has decided to act like a real jerk lately. I have to spend 5 minutes trying to outsmart my computer everytime I want to open any pdf file. It's beginning to piss me off quite a bit.
I used to have this problem... Do you have the latest version? The older ones are notorious for being pieces of shit.

I don't remember eye strain from a computer screen causing any permanent damage, I believe it's temporary and the eyesight thing is just a myth... But I might be wrong. But as far as I recall, it's like arthritis or carpal tunnel; if you get it, you were going to get it. Eyesight definitely gets damaged with age naturally, anyway.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

If e-book readers can smell like freshbook or oldbook, then I might purchase one. Sometimes I buy books, open to the middle page and just bury my nose in it for that new book smell. Same with old books, and that old book smell.

Kindlestink®.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

LordRetard wrote:I don't remember eye strain from a computer screen causing any permanent damage, I believe it's temporary and the eyesight thing is just a myth... But I might be wrong. But as far as I recall, it's like arthritis or carpal tunnel; if you get it, you were going to get it. Eyesight definitely gets damaged with age naturally, anyway.
With the old style CRT screens, people's eyesight definitely suffered - the eye is unable to focus on the screen's surface so spends the whole time focusing back and forth, which is bad for your eyes.

The LCD screens are much better, though if you spend too much time on them (i.e. with your eyes at the same close focal length) the muscle controlling your lenses will get lazy and you won't be able to focus as well at greater distance. But it's ok if you just look out the window or something every half hour or so.

Wow, of all the things to remember really well from a lecture, it has to be something non-examinable :(
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Are you sure about that? I know that temporary damage is possible but I've never read anything about permanent damage. I know that TV screens, for instance, do not cause any permanent damage.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Just like an std, will never fully go away.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Correct!

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

LordRetard wrote:Are you sure about that? I know that temporary damage is possible but I've never read anything about permanent damage. I know that TV screens, for instance, do not cause any permanent damage.
Eh well I'm not gonna say that I know without a doubt, it was just something my Technology & Data Acquisition lecturer mentioned once. Maybe there's a difference with TV screens, especially as you don't tend to be as close to the television screen as to a computer one...
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Actually that's exactly why I was reading about it, because there's that thing where kids sometimes sit too close to the TV and their parents say "your eyes will bleed and your skull will explode!"; that's not actually true. It just means that the kid might need glasses.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

LordRetard wrote:Actually that's exactly why I was reading about it, because there's that thing where kids sometimes sit too close to the TV and their parents say "your eyes will bleed and your skull will explode!"; that's not actually true. It just means that the kid might need glasses.
Wait... isn't needing glasses a sign of permanent damage?
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

It means that the kid's eyes were fucked to begin with and no one noticed it until then. Diagnosing bad eyesight isn't something that's easy to do outside of an optometrist's office.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

LordRetard wrote:It means that the kid's eyes were fucked to begin with and no one noticed it until then. Diagnosing bad eyesight isn't something that's easy to do outside of an optometrist's office.
Unless your at a ophthalmologists office. They're actually much better at it.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I don't know the difference.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

It amuses me that you correctly spelled "ophthalmologist" but not "you're."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.