Pirates? (Literary Edition)

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Pirates? (Literary Edition)

Post by Euclidthegreek »

If/when Kindle becomes ubiquitous, and digital books become the dominant method for absorbing literary materials, will piracy-type actions become as common as they are with music?
Will book-sharing sites spring up for readers to escape the tyranny of Amazon's selection?
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Pirates? (Literary Edition)

Post by Kimra »

Yes. ++
King Prawn

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Depends on how it's uploaded. Like how the Kindle can have things wiped.
But downloading books over the internet is common. The HP books were available before release date, if you looked hard enough.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

AHMETxRock wrote:Depends on how it's uploaded. Like how the Kindle can have things wiped.
But downloading books over the internet is common. The HP books were available before release date, if you looked hard enough.
That's one of the issues I have with Kindle. Hopefully other e-readers ([This person] feel dirty typing that) will be of a different design that does not have that feature. Though [This person] will probably not get one anyway, as [The imposter who has stolen the identity of the founder of Geometry] like killing trees. Still, it's reassuring to know that people care about books enough to go to the trouble.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah book piracy exists. One year for my birthday my brother gave me a 16 Gig USB stick which had entire discworld series, some Neil Gaiman books and the Last Unicorn and a couple of other books I'd expressed an interest in reading but was having trouble finding, all of which he'd downloaded for free from various websites.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Well, you can get a reader designed for your blackberry slash itouch slash whatever already. And you can get a .pdf of any popular book right now (if you have more esoteric tastes, then it might be more worth it to shell out the $2 because if you can't find a book online it means that no one else wants it). The kindle incident is a temporary thing, as if you had a hard drive that deleted any illegal files you had; you'd rather buy the cheaper one that lets your plundered goods be. It sounds simpler in concept if anything.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Clearly you people have never heard of #bookz.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I know pirate books exist, I have some RP books (most I either own in person, or can't find to buy in reality) in pdf format. I know the (1st gen at least) Sony e-reader doesn't have the delete anywhere ability, but it lacks wifi. I can't say if the software is capable of deleting something off of it when it becomes plugged in, though I believe not.

Also its insane how much they want to charge for some books on those stores, more expensive then it is in print almost it seems.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Not necessarily, I bought a paperback book that's probably 3/4 of an inch thick book in Barnes & Noble and it was effin' $14. I could have ordered it online for $5 cheaper but I needed it right away.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

One of my mass-published paperback copies of The Castle (I have two) says something on the back like 2.95 pounds. I don't know where it came from (Europe??) but damn that sounds cheap. The new paperbacks I buy though can be pretty expensive. I bought a copy of After Dark, hardcover, new, for about $10. That was super-cool, but even my copy of Nausea was translated in 2007 so it was almost 20 CAD.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I was saying that comment after finding someone trying to sell Moon is a Harsh Mistress for 45 dollars. Also the philip k dick I've been looking for are averaging around $11, which is cheaper then the 14 dollars of a large/over sized thin paper back I've found them in, but much more then a normal paperback would be. I'm feeling rather erked at whoever currently owns the publishing rights for it. Still better then some publishing companies that are just preventing certain authors going into digital at all (I'm looking at you Tor holding out on my Wheel of Time.) If I was more proficent/comfortable with illegal downloading I'd probably just grab them from a torrent site, not like I haven't bought them in reality enough to calm any moral quivers with doing it.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

LordRetard wrote:One of my mass-published paperback copies of The Castle (I have two) says something on the back like 2.95 pounds. I don't know where it came from (Europe??) but damn that sounds cheap. The new paperbacks I buy though can be pretty expensive. I bought a copy of After Dark, hardcover, new, for about $10. That was super-cool, but even my copy of Nausea was translated in 2007 so it was almost 20 CAD.
It isn't that cheap. A pound is worth like $2 US, and they always charge Canadians way more for books. It would cost like $6 for me, but for you it's probably more like $10. Which is fairly reasonable, but not particularly cheap.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

That's true, Canadian books are overpriced because they're based on an exchange rate that's about ten years old.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

And the dollar is apparently heading towards parity again, which means we're due for another series of news story after news story of how books are overpriced. :-/

Every time I see this thread I think of books about pirates, or book stealing pirates or somesuch. And then I click the thread and remember the actual subject, and though I understand, I can't help being just a tiny bit disappointed.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well I did see an AOL news headline that said "Pirates hijack boat, find surprise." For the sake of making you feel better, I could say the surprise was a whole lot of books.