What are you reading right now?

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
Felstaff
XKCD spy

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Felstaff »

Well, Elijah Wood has put his name forward to play "Sam, the youngish man on the hotel's night reception" in case a film is ever made of it. I think Daisy Ridley wants to play the eponymous sex-mad Belinda. I think the finest line of the entire novel* has to be
Her nipples hardened with her feeling and they were now as large as the three inch rivets which had held the hull of the fateful Titanic together.

*I'm fairly sure at 69 pages, it doesn't qualify as a 'novel', not to mention the basic spelling errors, frequently bizarre syntactical choices, dearth of plot or character development, and unnecessary over-usage of semicolons
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Very emotive. A melancholic lust for the ages.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

steady

Post by steady »

99 francs

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

but euro ain't one.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

MeisterKleister

Post by MeisterKleister »

The Tome of Bill series
by Rick Gualtieri

An urban fantasy horror comedy about Bill, a programmer, geek, and ordinary (and very snarky) guy, who one day finds himself turned into a vampire.
The 3rd book in this series had one of the funniest moments for me in recent memory. I hadn't laughed this hard since The Disaster Artist.
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

MeisterKleister

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse #1)
by Dennis E. Taylor

This has just become one of my all-time sci-fi favorites along with The Martian -- Superb science fiction all around and a lot of fun.
"Men educated in [the critical habit of thought] … are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain." -William Graham Sumner

My Goodreads bookshelf

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

I'm reading Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough and it's advertised as a thriller and it kinda is but it also kinda isn't. The tag line is don't tell anyone the ending. Well, it would be nice to be informed that the book is in the supernatural/fantasy area. The advertisement doesn't mention it and the first half or 2/3 of the book don't either. So you try to figure out how any of this can possibly be ... well, if this were our real world, as we are told it is / led to believe it is, it wouldn't be.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

MeisterKleister

My Goodreads bookshelf

runningman

Post by runningman »

Now I read "The Financier" from the trilogy of Theodore Dreiser, which still includes "The Titan" and "The Stoic." A great work and I want to start reading the following parts as soon as possible.
Try to use http://www.smbc-comics.com/smbcforum/ and with the help of our service, you can deal with any writing assignment you get.

Aetre

Post by Aetre »

I'm making my way through Middlemarch.

...It'll be a while.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Wikipedia says it's the most important English novel. I've never heard of it before.

Aetre

Post by Aetre »

Short version:

It was a serial in the late 1800s, written as historical fiction about the 1830s, released in 8 books that kinda read as if they're seasons in a modern TV series, with each chapter being more or less an episode. The author, George Eliot, was an atheist woman writing under a man's name, and she's one of those Victorian authors who often gets praised because they so openly loathed every Victorian-era mannerism and formality and social convention. Wilkie Collins was another (Woman in White, The Moonstone), but he mostly made fun of Victorian stuffiness, where Eliot delved really insanely deeply into every last facet of how these social ideals were flat-out ruining people's lives in an insidious, relentless way.

The book is pretty predictable in that sense, because you very quickly get the (correct) notion that absolutely nothing is going to end happily for any of the main characters. But it's entertaining and witty anyway, so I'm enjoying it. It's just... long.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Sounds cool.

DavidGreen

Post by DavidGreen »

And I'm trying to read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People... Now I do not know how to learn more economics assignment assistance, because I still have only 20 pages (2 months eh..) Or am I a loser or just a fantasy forever) Or both
Last edited by DavidGreen on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good always defeats evil

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'm trying to get back into reading. I don't have a great reason, but for the last year and a half I've found it difficult. Mostly it's because my pre-bed rituals changed a bit, combined with not really feeling that engaged with the stuff at the top of my list.

Decided to start with Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance. It's pretty interesting. And equal parts intriguing and non-committal, which I'm hoping will be a good starting point.