Internet Bookshelves

We've read at least one, and we'll prove it!
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Internet Bookshelves

Post by mountainmage »

http://www.librarything.com

You can catalogue your books online, but only 200 with a free account. You can check my profile out, I have the same name there as I do here.*

*not that you care
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Cool website

Post by Lethal Interjection »

mountainmage wrote:http://www.librarything.com

You can catalogue your books online, but only 200 with a free account. You can check my profile out, I have the same name there as I do here.*
My roomate's girlfriend was just talking about this last night at the bar. True story. Alas, I don't own many books. Most of the ones I collected in school were killed in a basement flooding about a year and a half ago. Only about a shelf-full survived, and I've bought about a half-dozen since.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I have around 117 books. Most are parts of various series.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Raptor_Jesus

Post by Raptor_Jesus »

Eh, sort of useless for me. I own VERY few physical books. Most of mine are in .pdf format...

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Shelfari

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Yeah, so there's this thing called Shelfari. Something like Facebook for books. The whole thing sounds rather silly to me, although it does have appeal.

My friend introduced it to me saying "Oooh, you should make an account and then we can compare our book lists!" I replied that it would be simpler for me to write it down on a piece of paper and give it to him. I sort of want to join but I am leery of the vast information-stealing and time-wasting potential of Social Networking, as well as the whole concept in general. Thoughts?
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: Shelfari

Post by Apocalyptus »

Well I already have a similar thing called Visual Bookshelf, that has an application on Facebook. It's pretty cool, I guess.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

The whole thing of Facebook seems kinda silly but whatever, people are into it. I would enjoy keeping track of what books I read as kind of a hobby* although I can't say why. My main hesitance would be that it would become instantly obvious that I actually don't read that much at all** but frankly I just admitted it anyway so whatever.

While we're on the topic, I'm really not that sensitive about information-stealing social networks. The way I see it, any information you put on there is information you're giving up to the world. If anyone needs to know that I'm a huge fan of the Melvins then that's totally cool 'cause I don't really give a damn.

*I have a hobby of making lists. I think it complements my tendency of being kind of a "collector"/packrat. I don't know why I have this tendency to collect junk and then enumerate it but I really do enjoy it.
**Embarrassing but true. I read really slowly and most people I know read much more than I do. Oh well.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Oh that's fine with me. I have no problem with random people seeing the information that I carefully select for there. What bothers me is how you give them the rights to your photos forever, and how it seems like the entire purpose of the site is to harvest your information for the purpose of advertising. I also don't like how I am addicted to it even though I don't know why and in fact kind of hate the site.

You hit it on the nail though. I also like making lists and collecting stuff, which is why Shelfari appeals to me. I just don't see why I need some "social networking site" to do that.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Then I recommend Visual Bookshelf, you don't have to sign up to a whole other social networking site for it.
I'll send you an application invite on facebook if you're interested.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Apocalyptus wrote:Then I recommend Visual Bookshelf, you don't have to sign up to a whole other social networking site for it.
I'll send you an application invite on facebook if you're interested.
Hook me up bro.

Yeah Facebook is about advertising, but that's because it's a free service. I'm not a fan of facebook either but I spend a ton of time on it because that's how I primarily communicate with a lot of people when I don't see them in person. Also you are addicted due to the power of the click.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Okay I am already pissed how do I keep it from asking me to publish every time I add a book?

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Go to application settings and change the notification preferences.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

How 'bout I not do that 'cause I ALREADY DID

Anyway it looks like it suddenly applied itself shortly after I changed the settings. Still angry about it.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

But is it worth getting angry about, LR? Has it changed your life for the worse or better in any significant way?
You must ask yourself this.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Fuck it's doing it again! Everything makes me so mad!