The Book of Eli

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

The Book of Eli

Post by carbonstealer »

As far as post apocalyptic films go, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. A bit of good ol' fashioned black man with a mission from God and a truly holy talent at slicing the hell out of all those desperate and hungry enough to get in his way.

I especially liked Gary Oldman's role, he always plays a good villain
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: The Book of Eli

Post by Kimra »

I was told it was sub-par. But I love Gary Oldman, and i love Denzel Washington so I'll probably watch it one day.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

The story seems to be shorter than it should be, even though the movie isn't that short, but all in all it is an enjoyable watch. The cinematography is pretty good as well, and you have it right on the nail with those two making it well worth the watch
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I thought the characters were unbelievable and the plot was a huge stretch.
Visually appealing, though.

Edit: I guess I was just hoping for more. Something more like A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

It was far from perfect, but it was a lot better than I expected.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Really the biggest plot stretch that they made was that an iPod could last 30 years. Modern technology isn't built to last. Sure, by the looks of it, it was a classic, but even those which are undoubtably the hardiest of the lot get cracked screens by that time and those earphones last two years at the absolute maximum before they've fallen to pieces. Thirty years would be a miraculous feat indeed. Unless of course, God was protecting the earphones as well

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

God got all up in that iPod like woah.

Anywayyyyy, it's been a while since I saw the movie but I remember I wasn't convinced by Gary Oldman's burning need to own a Bible. I mean, make some old-timey stuff up! They won't know the difference. Especially since you're the only one who can really read. Take the bits and pieces of the Bible you remember and twist them slightly to fit your situation better and go from there. And he wanted it to control people, but it seemed like he had a lot of control already. Also Mila Kunis' (sp?) character was really annoying. And instead of forcing Eli to wander for 30 years until he memorized the damn Bible, so he could dictate it with his dying hours, why not deposit him safely there so he can read it for everyone?

ALSO ELI IS BLIND

haha, I actually used the spoiler thing for spoilers. I feel special.

Anyway, I think I'd like to watch it again. Maybe I'm just being overcritical. I knew it was going to have religious overtones going into it, but again, I was expecting more like A Canticle for Leibowitz (anyone read that? I love that book) and less like Signs.

Man when Signs ended I wanted to punch someone in the throat.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I hated Signs too! And I'm like the only one of my RL friends who did!

Seriously, if water's like poison to you, why in the world would you want to invade a planet where it's everywhere? I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable on a planet where not only two thirds of it was covered with a substance so poison it would kill me if I touched it, but it even falls from the sky on a regular basis.

I also have to wonder how strong someone's faith is if one tragedy is enough to make you lose faith in God forever. Or at the very least it points to a severe misunderstanding of what Christianity is if you really believe that nothing bad will happen to you if you have faith.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Amen.

Going from priest to atheist at the drop of a wife seems pretty fishy to me.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kovvy wrote:Amen.

Going from priest to atheist at the drop of a wife seems pretty fishy to me.
And how garbage must the support system for the clergy be? I mean, in my church, if that were to happen to people, the community would really gather around the person. Churches that I know of can be pretty crappy at day-to-day support but when something that tragic happens they really do a great job*. (And that's not counting the support a pastor/priest should be getting from the actual church hierarchy.) While not assured to be a comfort, it would show someone of faith that maybe God is still there.

*An example being that a month or so ago a woman connected to my denomination (and to multiple churches due to family and whatnot) was severely injured in a hit and run and died 2 weeks ago (and the sister is got married this afternoon). I've heard a lot about it , requests for prayer and stuff, over the past week from multiple sources in multiple churches. .

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I didn't see him losing any faith there.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I will endevour to watch this movie over the next few days, so that I may once more read all of the forum.
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Oh yes, watch it, do !

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, predominantly due to the fact it was effectively Fallout 3: The Movie (in terms of visual style). I heard about it because as a staunch collector of PC Gamer, I heard a lot (or alot) about it from the editor Gary Whitta, who wrote it. (follow him on Twitter as gwhitta or garywhitta - I enjoy his tweets).

Regarding the Big Action Scene At The House On The Prairie: Were the old couple really cannibals/murderers? I get the feeling that an element implying they were was removed from the script, and Eli just came to that conclusion because of the graveyard in their back yard (garden). They didn't seem the cannibalistic type, and weren't Over-Nice so I think they were badly represented if they were supposed to be cannibals.

Also, it turns out that when you put a link in a spoiler, it gets shown ! I did not ANGRY GRIZZLY BEAR know that ! So if I was to, for instance, make a passing allusion to taking a small interest in your sister's home-cooking and linkify a certain part of that text, then it can take things wildly out of context. I suppose this might not happen with certain forum skins. Interestingly, did you know that despite living in poverty, Mother Teresa had laser corrective surgery to the vision in her left eye. But back to the plot of the movie. Did you think there was any subliminal messaging in the fillum as a whole? I like it when Eli is joined by the woman in the navy sweater.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

It did come along a little bit suddenly, the whole implication of cannibilism, but they did support it with how much the old ladies hands were shaking, and obviously he had met something like that before. It made sense what with the scary sandwich meat and all. HUMAN MEAT. Really when I look at the movie I see that hte subliminal message is that he is both of the blues brothers