Mystery of the Missing...Crayon

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

you win a cookie!!!!!!! Image
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Crusty
[Insert Here]

Post by Crusty »

hawhaw1267 wrote:
Crusty wrote:tucker's mom
Fixed her for you :wink:
Thank god someone finally got around to doing that
I am the Illegitemate Father of Genetics
mountainmage wrote: anchorman was good, but you really need to see "The Grammar Police vs. Shut The Hell Up"

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

SPEAKING OF YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
That guy died.
How can you not love that mug?

RIP.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Lexy wrote:SPEAKING OF YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
That guy died.
How can you not love that mug?

RIP.
Its too bad that he died. He was probably my favourite character on Everybody Loves Raymond. However, I won't lie, I positively loathed that show.

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I think I've seen one episode of it ever.
I don't have cable. I have the shows that I download, but I don't really do half hour comedy's.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

hate the show, love peter. he was perfect for frankenstein.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Lexy wrote:I think I've seen one episode of it ever.
I don't have cable. I have the shows that I download, but I don't really do half hour comedy's.
You weren't missing anything. It was one of the worst formula sitcoms I had ever seen. We get it, the husband's (Ray) lazy. We get it, he has a weird psychological attachment with his mother. We get it, the older brother is jealous of the younger. We get it, the dad is a lazy old crank. We get it, his wife gets frustrated with him. We get it, his wife doesn't care for her in-laws, especially the domineering and intrusive mother.
I just feel like you are beaten over the head again and again and again with the same damn plot points and character foibles, so that every episode is the exact same essentially.

The only half hour comedies (non-animated, that is) I have really enjoyed are Scrubs and Arrested Development. My Name is Earl is pretty good too, from what I've seen, and Seinfeld was always enjoyable. Oh, and MASH is great too. (Friends was okay too, as they tended to have stock characters, but not necessarily stock plots as Everybody Loves Raymond did) But really, all are somewhat innovative (except Friends), and hadn't really fit the mold. For the most part I'm just against the laugh-track, which I feel is just really dumb.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Lethal Interjection wrote:blah... For the most part I'm just against the laugh-track, which I feel is just really dumb.
except when the laugh-track is used as a joke against the laugh-track... like in the greatest sit-com of all time.

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!

Post by your_face »

My Englishness is undoubtedly a large factor in this, but I find English (and Irish (welsh and scottish comedians just arent that funny, imo(except maybe billy connolly(spelling?(check all these brackets out!(hell yes.))))) comedy to be far superior to American comedy.

I don't know if these shows are popular or even heard of in America, so I'll list a bunch. Searching YouTube for these will undoubtedly get you some good clips.

comedy shows

Little Britain
The Mighty Boosh
Bo Selecta (gets old fast, sadly)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
I'm Alan Partridge
The Young Ones
Bottom (this and TYO are 'fart humour', really)
The Office (the english version, not the watered down american remake)

comedians

Dylan Moran (irish)
Reeves and Mortimer (comedy duo, havent done any new stuff for about a decade)
Harry Enfield (same as above)
Steve Coogan
Russel Brand (kind of annoying, really. v humorous though)
Peter Kay
Harry Hill (very mad. may require drugs to watch.)

theres loads more, but I dont have time.
no u

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

your_face wrote:My Englishness is undoubtedly a large factor in this
Culture makes a HUGE difference. Also gender. For example, I found the English version of The Office to be funny, but in an akward way. I found the American version to be side-splittingly funny.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

your_face wrote:My Englishness is undoubtedly a large factor in this, but I find English (and Irish (welsh and scottish comedians just arent that funny, imo(except maybe billy connolly(spelling?(check all these brackets out!(hell yes.))))) comedy to be far superior to American comedy.

I don't know if these shows are popular or even heard of in America, so I'll list a bunch. Searching YouTube for these will undoubtedly get you some good clips.

comedy shows

Little Britain
The Mighty Boosh
Bo Selecta (gets old fast, sadly)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
I'm Alan Partridge
The Young Ones
Bottom (this and TYO are 'fart humour', really)

comedians

Dylan Moran (irish)
Reeves and Mortimer (comedy duo, havent done any new stuff for about a decade)
Harry Enfield (same as above)
Steve Coogan
Russel Brand (kind of annoying, really. v humorous though)
Peter Kay
Harry Hill (very mad. may require drugs to watch.)

theres loads more, but I dont have time.
I generally prefer American humor for character comedy, and British humor for drole, slapstick, or abstract comedy.

Probably my favorite single panel toonist of all time is a Brit named Glen Baxter. Well worth the read.

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!

Post by your_face »

TwoBuy wrote:
your_face wrote:My Englishness is undoubtedly a large factor in this
Culture makes a HUGE difference. Also gender. For example, I found the English version of The Office to be funny, but in an akward way. I found the American version to be side-splittingly funny.
That was the best thing about the English version. Brent just made viewers cringe. I know for a fact that I was so embarassed for him that I hid behind a cushion at LEAST 3 times.

I'll also admit that I'm not entirely sure what character comedy is.
My current guess is like in Will and Grace, Will is a GAY CHARACTER AND THAT IS FUNNY BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT GAY.
Right?
no u

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I would probably say that character comedy would be shows like Will and Grace, Friends, Seinfeld, and to throw it way back, MASH.
Situation comedy would be things like Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, The Drew Cary Show, etc.
Then, of course, there is the morality situation comedy, which has thankfully been mostly absent for the last half-decade or so (really since the cancellation of Home Improvements). You know, shows like Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Full House, etc.
And then there is a new breed of character comedy that lacks the laugh track, such as My Name is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development and the like.

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:The only half hour comedies (non-animated, that is) I have really enjoyed are Scrubs and Arrested Development. My Name is Earl is pretty good too, from what I've seen, and Seinfeld was always enjoyable. Oh, and MASH is great too. (Friends was okay too, as they tended to have stock characters, but not necessarily stock plots as Everybody Loves Raymond did) But really, all are somewhat innovative (except Friends), and hadn't really fit the mold. For the most part I'm just against the laugh-track, which I feel is just really dumb.
I agree with everything said here, save the Friends bit.

Arrested Development was ridiculously funny. Can't believe that it got cancelled.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Lexy wrote: I agree with everything said here, save the Friends bit.
What part about Friends did you disagree with? That it was good, that it wasn't innovative, or what? The stock plots or the stock characters?

Personally I can only tolerate Friends. I will watch and sometimes enjoy it, but I neither actively search for it nor do I change the channel when it is on (like Everybody Loves Raymond).