Stuff For Christmas

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Tundra

Stuff For Christmas

Post by Tundra »

Which games, dvds, etc do you want for Christmas?
Yeah, you know you want to talk about creativity. http://www.notebookinhand.com The interpretation of 'creativity' is up to you!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Stuff For Christmas

Post by Lethal Interjection »

My list was pretty short. I'm getting a little too grown up. And I'm more financially stable than I have been pretty much ever, so I purchase a lot of stuff when I want it.
In the case of DVDs, my requests were pretty minor in comparison to past years. The Trotsky. Inception (which has been really difficult to keep from buying already, but the release date was so close to Christmas I couldn't not put it on my list). Mr. Nobody. I think there may have been one more.
I also asked for a few boxsets. I really want the MASH Martinis and Medicine boxset, but its price is a little prohibitive. Community, and the newest seasons of a few shows which I don't have completed yet.
And I never thought I'd come to it, but I didn't ask for any CDs. iTunes is just too convenient, and I listen to my music off my iPod or computer almost entirely. Plus, all of the bonus tracks that many artists include online, to promote not having to press a disc. Hopefully I get some more iTunes gift cards*
A lot of the stuff I asked for are more like household supplies. I desperately want some straight edge knives with a sharpener, as serated are only okay for about half the stuff I tend to chop. Also, sheets and a new comforter. A few other things like that, I believe.

*Actually I asked for Wal-Mart gift cards which I can then transfer into iTunes cards, as I actually get 10% off the iTunes cards.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

I haven't really thought of it. Anything I get will be a surprise.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

I would really like the new Terry Pratchett book, since I can't afford the hardcover myself and I am getting such a beautiful hard cover collection of his books
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

There's no point thinking about it. There are so many things I want, but nothing is in either my or anyone I knows price range, so thinking about it is like taunting me with food I can not eat. :(
carbonstealer wrote:I would really like the new Terry Pratchett book, since I can't afford the hardcover myself and I am getting such a beautiful hard cover collection of his books
You couldn't pick a less published author to go hard cover collecting for? Shesh.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Only one of the hard covers was actually bought by me. The rest have been gifts from various people. Free hardcover book collections are still the best type of collections in my book*

*Although my Twilight set was free and that is not a good collection at all. In fact, it is a pretty terrible one
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I need a new watch, as mine is broken. I also wanted a camera but it looks like I'll be inheriting my father's camera, which is okay. My brother also already got me a chemex coffee maker which is working out great. Aside from that I just can't really think of anything I really want that I could actually expect someone to get me.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Well my parents have gone halves on a digital camera so I can take nice photos on my upcoming trip to Cambodia and Malaysia (Although I paid for the extended warranty).
Apart from that, I haven't really thought about it.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I bought Mrs. Felstaff the following for Christmas this year:
  • A musical cake slicer (plays: "Happy Birthday" "Celebrate" "Here Comes The Bride*" and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas")
  • An iPhone case that looks like a cassette tape
  • A zebra-striped double-slanket
  • 'Minger' Top Trumps
  • One Hundred Secret Thoughts Cats Have About Humans, by Celia Haddon
  • Two Tickets To That Thing She Loves**
For Christmas this year I want a phone case that looks like a GameBoy (first gen), a Pac-Man themed wooden labyrinth, a scale model of one of the small fighter UFOs from Independence Day, which I can paint, set on fire, and then photograph crashing into a sandpit, and one of those memory-foam pillows (comfortable, but heck are they hot!)

*I wonder what kind of wedding could be improved by having a monophonic rendition of Wagner's Wedding March play as the happy couple slice the cake. Answer: all weddings.

**The tickets are now diamonds
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

I would like the community season 2 DVD for christmas

love that commentary!

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I asked an uncle for either a Janelle Monae CD or a Rufus Wainright CD, since I don't have an album from either but would be happy with any of their albums. And I got him A People's History of the United States, which I think he'll like.

Otherwise I've just been telling people that itunes or Coles giftcards are good, or socks or a sketchbook would be useful and will save me money later. I used to ask for movies,* but apparently I'm the only one Internet shopping literate enough to be able to find movies that haven't been released within the last year.

*Usually animated ones especially ones from Bluth, Disney or Dreamworks since I could rewatch those kind of movies over and over again.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Pitch Hitter
[Insert Here]

Post by Pitch Hitter »

I am very excited to be the one giving this year, as I got everyone a shitty pop CD along with their main present.

I haven't picked a delivery mechanism yet though i.e. do I put them in with the real present, or do I hide the real ones and pretend these are all there are? Very limited time to decide.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I asked for mostly household stuff, as I'm lacking in a number of things now that I live alone.

I also mentioned the MASH Martinis and Medicine complete series boxset, but I think its a bit pricy for me to ever get it from anyone. I also mentioned a handful of books and DVDs and the like, though the amount of that stuff is ever diminishing, as I pretty much buy it all myself.
Probably the the thing I'm most hoping to get would be the board game Agricola, which I've come to really enjoy and want to spread the goodness of it.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

I asked my parents for wireless headphones which would be very nice, aside from that most of what we give each other at Christmas is books and music and sometimes video games, so whatever I get out of that will probably be really cool.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I got my brother Jamestown and VVVVVV. Then when the Humble Indie Bundle 4 came out, someone else got him that, including Jamestown. Not wanting to only have a $5 game for him, I bought him Start of Darkness, the Order of the Stick prequel book, in addition to VVVVVV.

My parents are always hard to buy gifts for. My mom loves true crime books but already has just about all of the ones you'd find in a bookstore, so I got her a fictional murder mystery book. She actively refuses to watch films that aren't billed as "based on a true story", so here's to extreme uncertainty that she'll like the book. For my dad, I got an Irish cookbook. He has a few Mediterranean cookbooks, a couple Mexican ones and loads of American ones, but doesn't have any European ones! The cookbooks at Indigo are mostly rubbish, though, and the Irish one was the only decent-seeming cookbook at the store. So I got him that.

I couldn't think of anything for my sister so I made her a painting* of a field near our home. Can't wait to see how she reacts.

My mom kept bugging me about what I wanted for Christmas and I couldn't think of anything. At length I asked for K&R's The C Programming Language, to help make up for the below-expectations programming classes in the University of Toronto's ECE course. My brother said he was planning on getting me a fancy sound system, and it seems kind of silly to tell a person ahead of time what you're getting them for Christmas but I have limited luggage space for the plane back to Toronto, so it was good of him to check that it'd be logistically possible for me to take the setup back to college. Excited for the other gifts. Christmas is in five days now!

Not sure what I'm gonna do for my friends at home. Probably just going to redistribute some Perl and MBTI books I've finished reading. I also have an extra copy of Jamestown to give away now.

*painting sunlight is haaaaard!
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault