Merry Christmas

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

ChooChooTrain wrote:And Oldrac, are you saying that I should assume that everyone who reads SMBC forums is aware of and regularly reads XKCD? That seems like a ridiculous assumption to me.
Not necessarily. They might be aware of XKCD and dislike it. Or they might be spambots.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

Oldrac said that they read it as much as they care to.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Everyone who reads and regularly posts on SMBC Forums is aware of XKCD. This is not an assumption, but rather fact.

As mentioned before though, a significant portion do not read or enjoy it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Edminster wrote:Everyone who reads and regularly posts on SMBC Forums is aware of XKCD. This is not an assumption, but rather fact.

As mentioned before though, a significant portion do not read or enjoy it.
Forgive me, oh all knowing Ed. I am but a mortal. I cannot simply proclaim just anything I wish to be fact, like you.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

yeah ed

looks like you ruined a good thing

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Amerika wrote:yeah ed

looks like you ruined a good thing
That's what I was thinking.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Yeah, there's at most two dozen regular posters. We've all talked about XKCD before, so it's pretty unlikely that we've never been exposed to it.

Maybe don't hold opinions until you know all the facts? Oh wait, you're CCT; of course that's not going to happen.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Edminster wrote:Yeah, there's at most two dozen regular posters. We've all talked about XKCD before, so it's pretty unlikely that we've never been exposed to it.

Maybe don't hold opinions until you know all the facts? Oh wait, you're CCT; of course that's not going to happen.
Haha maybe don't use the word "fact" when you're speaking in vaguely defined terms like "regular."
And anyhow, what about the non-regular posters? You think those two dozen people are the only ones who read the boards?

Maybe don't be an arrogant, self-righteous asshole? Oh wait, you're Ed.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

ChooChooTrain wrote:vaguely defined terms like "regular."
Name is on the first page of memberlist when arranged by last login and has a Title. By my count it's actually less than two dozen.
ChooChooTrain wrote:And anyhow, what about the non-regular posters? You think those two dozen people are the only ones who read the boards?
Are they contributing? If not, doesn't matter. We're not here to put on a show for all the pretty silent people, we're here to talk.
ChooChooTrain wrote:Maybe don't be an arrogant, self-righteous asshole? Oh wait, you're Ed.
We know each other so well Image.

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I love you Ed. In case you didn't get that every other time I've told you. :)
King Prawn

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

Edminster wrote:Name is on the first page of memberlist when arranged by last login and has a Title. By my count it's actually less than two dozen.
Lol. Seems amusing that you would so proudly present your fact, which turns out to be only true if you accept your arbitrarily chosen and unspecified definitions of the terms.
Edminster wrote:Are they contributing? If not, doesn't matter. We're not here to put on a show for all the pretty silent people, we're here to talk.
I'm glad it's so obvious to you which members matter and which members don't. Also, perhaps different people are here for different reasons. Let us post in a manner which achieves those reasons.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

ChooChooTrain wrote:
Edminster wrote:Are they contributing? If not, doesn't matter. We're not here to put on a show for all the pretty silent people, we're here to talk.
I'm glad it's so obvious to you which members matter and which members don't. Also, perhaps different people are here for different reasons. Let us post in a manner which achieves those reasons.
I'm with Ed. This isn't a blog. A message board is for multi-way communication. We can't include all of those who aren't contributing and include them in everything we write and say. Do you brush your teeth like everyone is watching? Have you ever had an inside joke?
Making assumptions about a community is a good way to marginalize yourself. Reeling up and over-defending yourself is a good way to make it worse.
I'm not saying this whole thing hasn't been blown out of proportion, I'm just saying that you should perhaps let yourself lose a few battles if you want to establish yourself in a community, especially one in which you have shunned to some degree in the past.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Besides, Ed's right. Any attempt to make him look not right in this circumstance is just pedantry, and foolish pedantry at that.
King Prawn

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Guys I think the point we're overlooking here is that everyone and their grandma (minus Amerika) reads XKCD.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

And I sort of read it, in the context of xkcdsucks