Bikes

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Bikes

Post by FengharTheNord »

I have a question about them. Does anyone know of any good bike models that can withstand my fat person powers(the power of being extremely heavy), are pretty durable, and are only unsettlingly expensive? (as apposed to outrageously)

Also lets discuss bikes and ironic printed tees to be worn while riding bikes. I have a brown shirt on right now that has the domo face except he's wearing thick black rimmed glasses with the nose piece tied up like they were broken it shows that I am a nerd as well as an otaku and I have had a gas station clerk comment on my shirt telling me how much she loves domo. I have reason to suspect that she is an otaku as well.
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: Bikes

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Bike manufacturers don't usually give rider weight limit specs. Most bikes can generally handle 300 lbs or more though.

Main things to avoid are carbon fiber frames and low spoke count wheels. If you are snapping spokes on your wheels, you need ones with more spokes. Solid forks as opposed to ones with suspension shocks in them might be a good idea depending on what you are looking for. Having the suspension should not cause a problem, but they might not perform very well depending on how much rider weight they are built to handle and there is no point in paying for an extra that doesn't work.

Although there are heavy high-end bikes, often the more expensive bikes are ultra-light weight, so it shouldn't cost you more to get a bike that can handle your weight. If you are only looking to ride on roads or casual bike trails, you shouldn't have much trouble as long as you don't buy an ultra-light weight model. If you are looking to do some serious trail riding, I'd go to a specialty shop and talk to the staff there.

If you want to discuss riding bikes while wearing ironic print tees, you should go to Williamsburg in Brooklyn or any other neighborhood with a large hipster population. Although Williamsburg is the mecca of hipsterdom I believe.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Post by FengharTheNord »

thank you very much you cheered me up when i was having a very bad day : )
kaharz wrote:bike stuff
Thanks you kindly for the information I shall now take it with me to battle the bike lords
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but actually, that's not true.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

DonRetrasado wrote:They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but actually, that's not true.
That's true. Which might explain why my charity "Bicycles for the Comatose" never took off.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

It took off-- it just didn't stop! D:

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Incidentally, Toronto now has a bicycle sharing system as of today. Weird!

EDIT: There are also no bike stations anywhere uptown, making the system totally fucking useless to me*. Awesome.

*To be fair, I can't even ride a bike.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Have you tried bicycle theft?
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Felstaff wrote:Have you tried bicycle theft?
It is very easy, just don't film it, the police hate that.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

A lot of people called "fake" on that video but I still think it's hilarious.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Staged or not, a lot of cyclist friends in NYC say that is pretty much how it goes.

In the words of the Dead Milkmen, "I swear, some people just don't want to get involved.."

The angle grinder is my favorite, although the hacksaw is probably the most ridiculous.