[2011-Jun-04] Relationship paradoxes

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

grin2b

[2011-Jun-04] Relationship paradoxes

Post by grin2b »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2266

So, like, the paradox is totes real--and I'm glad it was a guy doing the asinine complaining--but, if two people's relationship norms differ substantially, then shouldn't they get a fucking divorce? Why the fuck is Zach married, anyway? I've seen some marriage-friendly comics, but none of them really provide *justifications* for marriage, only excuses. That's probably good--commitment probably should not be extolled uncritically. But, what makes it good whatsoever? I don't wish to accuse my sweet, supple muse of cowardice, but how can an existentialist (or nihilist) ever justify a lifelong contract?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: Relationship paradoxes [2011-June-04]

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Making jokes about marriage definitely means you shouldn't do it...

grin2b

Post by grin2b »

it's impossible to ask a sufficiently detailed question, but pretend I did anyway.

voodooKobra

Post by voodooKobra »

Okay, I know it's a joke and all, but anyone who actually thinks communication is "unromantic" needs to be castrated with a clothing iron. Or at the very least surrender themselves to dying single.
OpineHub - A website for the highly opinionated.
A brothel for mathematicians would have to be named "...Minus Mu over Sigma." Why? Because that is what would follow... Sex-bar.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

just spitballing here, but is it possible the comic is intended to be sarcastic? Maybe it is pointing out how some people are stupid and oblivious when it comes to relationships by imitating those very attitudes in mock seriousness?
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

voodooKobra

Post by voodooKobra »

Kaharz wrote:just spitballing here, but is it possible the comic is intended to be sarcastic? Maybe it is pointing out how some people are stupid and oblivious when it comes to relationships by imitating those very attitudes in mock seriousness?
voodooKobra wrote:Okay, I know it's a joke and all, but anyone who actually thinks communication is "unromantic" needs to be castrated with a clothing iron. Or at the very least surrender themselves to dying single.
Just in case your comment was directed towards me.
OpineHub - A website for the highly opinionated.
A brothel for mathematicians would have to be named "...Minus Mu over Sigma." Why? Because that is what would follow... Sex-bar.

grin2b

Post by grin2b »

Well, like, the way I see it is: Communication truly is awesome. But, I can understand the disappointment that your partner doesn't share behavioral norms/expectations/whatever right off the bat: It seems to signify that they have different values, and that bridging the gap will require work that is unlikely to get at the underlying issues or personality dispositions. (Or, put differently: It's disappointing, because our expectations were to not have to work through these sorts of things.) Obviously, we should have realistic expectations wherever possible; but when our expectations actually are disappointed, doesn't that mean that we didn't actually get what we wanted? I wouldn't suggest throwing away a wife, because marriage probably has many concerns involved: Built-up trust, mutual protection, mutual familiarity, etc. But, I *would* ask why one should get into a committed situation in the first place, when one hasn't yet explored their expectations well enough. Of course, "well enough" is contextual; but then why can't the relationship be contextual too? (Or, put differently: Why should the person you share affection with necessarily be the person you share a house, ideas, etc. with?) So, I guess, maybe this is more a question about what defines "wife" rather than "friend"? We might view it as just a legal arrangement, but it seems to draw with it an immense set of cultural norms and expectations. (For instance, I have known only one couple to claim that their "marriage" was a legal/financial arrangement, and their behavior doesn't seem to actually reflect that claim.)

...I guess THAT is the question I wish I would have asked. Whatever; it's just a fucking comic.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

grin2b wrote:Whatever; it's just a fucking comic.
congratulations you are now better than a solid 90% of unregistered users here
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Redbluegreenman

Post by Redbluegreenman »

None of the married people I know have this problem. They are open about their complaints; the problems don't arise from a lack of communication, but from not being able to agree

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

Fuck, is that what my posts looked like before Ed told me to start using paragraphs? Never realized how hard that was on the eyes.

But yeah, grin2b, spot on. Way to have the entire conversation for us. Drew it to a well and proper conclusion as well. A fucking comic indeed. Not to be confused by a fuckable comic, which would refer most likely to Sarah Silverman.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

notbono

Post by notbono »

Needs a beat panel...

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Feelings are for gays and liberals. I smack my woman when she gets uppity. LIKE HELL I'LL SIGN ANY DAMN DIVORCE PAPERS.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

AHMETxRock wrote:Feelings are for gays and liberals. I smack my woman when she gets uppity. LIKE HELL I'LL SIGN ANY DAMN DIVORCE PAPERS.
Ahmet, back to challenge the stereotypes.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

notbono wrote:Needs a beat panel...
This may be the first time this sentence has been uttered.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

No Name

Post by No Name »

It's just trying to talk about role reversal and double standards, because guys always complain about how women always do that, but they tend to do it themselves.

And why the fuck are you guys over analyzIng this comic to the point of no return?