[2011-Jun-13] Limit as x approaches infinity equals ethics.

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Re: [June-13-2011] Limit as x approaches infinity equals eth

Post by Kaharz »

Remind me again why there was a desire to encourage to non-regulars and unregistered users to post?
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

CommenterX

Post by CommenterX »

I don't think anyone has addressed this yet:

The way the equation is introduced is incorrect; while the limit as x-->infinity is the way to go for "proving" (anal/logical interpretations be damned) the victimless thing, it is certainly not true that "Percent victims" = k/x as x-->infinity; "Percent victims" actually = k/x*100. The limit as x-->infinity shouldn't be part of that definition.

Post by Guest »

rwwright wrote:Funny -- this kind of reasoning is used by people of all political persuasions to justify theft (i.e. taxes) all the time.
Individuals living in a society have an obligation to that society, just as society has an obligation to each individual living in it. If all things were equal, we would all pay the same static amount in it. However, they are not. Many people benefit greatly from society, and thus their obligation to society is great. The inverse is true as well, those who society barely benefits at all, and in fact, society often exploits, society has a great obligation to them.

Paying taxes, your due diligence to society, is not theft, trying to cheat your way out of paying your taxes is.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

CommenterX wrote:I don't think anyone has addressed this yet:

The way the equation is introduced is incorrect; while the limit as x-->infinity is the way to go for "proving" (anal/logical interpretations be damned) the victimless thing, it is certainly not true that "Percent victims" = k/x as x-->infinity; "Percent victims" actually = k/x*100. The limit as x-->infinity shouldn't be part of that definition.
Throwing in a constant multiplier doesn't actually change the limit.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

rwwright wrote:Funny -- this kind of reasoning is used by people of all political persuasions to justify theft (i.e. taxes) all the time.
oh man i know a country you would just love! they've got no taxes at all, the government is small enough that it won't interfere with your daily life, and you can buy any gun you want and carry it openly!

somalia is a magical wonderland
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Would you like to join my Anarchist Society?

Just send me $25 for the dues and I'll send you the regulations for our group.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Kaharz wrote:Remind me again why there was a desire to encourage to non-regulars and unregistered users to post?
because i wanted to prove it was a bad idea in practise as well as in theory
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:
Kaharz wrote:Remind me again why there was a desire to encourage to non-regulars and unregistered users to post?
because i wanted to prove it was a bad idea in practise as well as in theory
Just like communism in the latter half of the 20th century!

anon

Post by anon »

shouldn't the equation be v = k/(k+X)

Me2

Post by Me2 »

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one bothered enough to post for the first time:

"Sufficiently large" is not the same as "infinity" :lol: "Sufficiently large" is not how limits work!

I still appreciated the joke though! I'm just giving you a hard time, keep up the good work!

Michael Dudley, son of Sara Dudley

Post by Michael Dudley, son of Sara Dudley »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:
This is not the right place for this discussion.

The right place for this discussion is Tajikistan, because I am unlikely to be anywhere near there in the forseeable future.
BUTTSLAMMED

CommenterX

Post by CommenterX »

Kaharz wrote:
CommenterX wrote:I don't think anyone has addressed this yet:

Throwing in a constant multiplier doesn't actually change the limit.
The constant isn't what matters. The limit shouldn't be part of the definition - otherwise, the "percent victims" is 0 for nearly all values of k (other than +/-infinity). That is, even when one person kills one person, "percent victims" would be 0.

oh my

Post by oh my »

this comic is hilarious. of course 100 people could kill someone. One hundred people push an enormous boulder off a cliff onto a person standing below. one hundred people flip one hundred switches at the same time that detonate a bomb in someone's car while they are driving it. But any number of scenarios could be invented. The comic lampoons the idea of infinity in philosophy of mathematics which works well for the practical use of limits in mathematics, but has disturbing philosophical implications. This has led some(impractical but well meaning) thinkers to attempt mathematical systems that get around this problem, though this has not been an issue in recent times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfinite_number http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finitism

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

oh my wrote:this comic is hilarious. of course 100 people could kill someone. One hundred people push an enormous boulder off a cliff onto a person standing below.
are you sure like maybe it took just one more person to push it over the end or something
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

oh my

Post by oh my »

DonRetrasado wrote:
oh my wrote:this comic is hilarious. of course 100 people could kill someone. One hundred people push an enormous boulder off a cliff onto a person standing below.
are you sure like maybe it took just one more person to push it over the end or something

yawn