[2011-Jul-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Sappheyes

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by Sappheyes »

Well, if you live in Florida (like I do) in the summer, showers twice a day seem like more of a necessity than an absurdity.

User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
Posts: 4360
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by Sahan »

Yes when living in very humid areas, it certainly does feel a lot better to shower a couple of times to feel properly refreshed, but I don't see why discussion about showers has become such a dominating topic in this thread.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

gavin
A Disappointment.
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by gavin »

Guest wrote:This. I think complaints about "originality" in art are unbelievably pretentious. It's that line of thought that has brought us shallow shock art like Interior Semiotics. Utterly worthless, even for provoking thought or challenging norms.
That's a great point. "Different" isn't necessarily better or more legitimate.
;-)

User avatar
Eikinkloster
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Hy-Brasil
Contact:

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by Eikinkloster »

Zach twitted this about this comic:

"Huh. People seem to be focusing on the waking part and not the dream in today's comic. It wasn't meant to be depressing :)"

I loved this comic. I think it's an excelent puzzle, and one solution is that Zach chose to draw only the mental images following the dream. I thought of it as I showered in the morning, drove to work and droned over my workstation that there were very vivid mental images following all those experiences too... the countryside while I'm driving, the Grid while I'm coding, and today even the very comic, which I discussed over with a co-worker.

But it still makes me feel that I should party harder.

gavin
A Disappointment.
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by gavin »

Eikinkloster wrote:Zach twitted this about this comic:

"Huh. People seem to be focusing on the waking part and not the dream in today's comic. It wasn't meant to be depressing :)"

I loved this comic. I think it's an excelent puzzle, and one solution is that Zach chose to draw only the mental images following the dream. I thought of it as I showered in the morning, drove to work and droned over my workstation that there were very vivid mental images following all those experiences too... the countryside while I'm driving, the Grid while I'm coding, and today even the very comic, which I discussed over with a co-worker.

But it still makes me feel that I should party harder.
Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.
;-)

User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canadia!

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by DonRetrasado »

Artists are so sensitive.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by Apocalyptus »

Ah, the delicate constitution of a creative type.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Eikinkloster
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 am
Location: Hy-Brasil
Contact:

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by Eikinkloster »

gavin wrote: Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.
What I mean is that Zach's comic does give you the impression that the person *does not* have anything going through their mind as they drone through life like robots. I think it *is* depressing. It only ceases being depressive when it makes you think and (eventually) realize you are not droning through your life. Which is not always true. Many times I do drive to work barely noticing what is going on besides not ramming other cars.

On the other hand, *because* of it, I've been paying more attention on what I see during the day.

I prefer it the way Zach did, without spelling out that it *can* be that way, but doesn't *need* to be. On the other hand, it puzzles me that *he* didn't see it as depressing.

gavin
A Disappointment.
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: Florida

Re: [2011-07-11] Every Time I Close My Eyes

Post by gavin »

Eikinkloster wrote:
gavin wrote: Exactly! It's that a person living in mundanity (if I may abuse the word mundane) still has all that going on in their mind. Vivid and raw imagery. If anything, it is uplifting, so I understand Zach's frustration that it is being perceived as only depressing.
What I mean is that Zach's comic does give you the impression that the person *does not* have anything going through their mind as they drone through life like robots. I think it *is* depressing. It only ceases being depressive when it makes you think and (eventually) realize you are not droning through your life. Which is not always true. Many times I do drive to work barely noticing what is going on besides not ramming other cars.

On the other hand, *because* of it, I've been paying more attention on what I see during the day.

I prefer it the way Zach did, without spelling out that it *can* be that way, but doesn't *need* to be. On the other hand, it puzzles me that *he* didn't see it as depressing.
Hmm, interesting. I've gone through days in the past on autopilot, so I understand what it feels like to drone. Such a piece could serve as a wake up call if considered as thoroughly as you have by such a drone. But that would create a sort of paradox, I guess. For a non-thinker to think really hard to get out of non-thinking.
;-)

Post Reply