[2011-Aug-29] what sort of movement...?

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

grin2b

[2011-Aug-29] what sort of movement...?

Post by grin2b »

So, I'm just wondering: What sorts of movements, other than the Catholic church and 70s feminism, dictate anything about one's sex life? granted, every movement at times risks getting too personal, but that seems more like a flaw of movements in general. and, maybe that's what the comic was getting at; but, the mention of sex felt a bit weird. oh well; enough analysis, i guess.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: [2011-Aug-29] what sort of movement...?

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I agree. I really didn't understand what this was referencing. Seemed more like a cult mentality.

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

Just off the top of my head the anti-gay movement, a whole lot of deity centered movements, just about any racially oriented movement. There are probably more, my knowledge is hardly expansive, but this already seems to be a respectable number of movements.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Also religions that say you can only have sex within marriage, can only marry within the religion with people who have been sharing the religon not mentioning any by name but mormanism
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Gangler

Post by Gangler »

To be fair it's socially acceptable to marry outside the faith as a mormon. You just can't have a mormon marriage or go to heaven [insert eyeroll emote here].

Also the vegansexual thing might count.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Gangler wrote:Just off the top of my head the anti-gay movement, a whole lot of deity centered movements, just about any racially oriented movement. There are probably more, my knowledge is hardly expansive, but this already seems to be a respectable number of movements.
You're right, now that I think of it.

What threw me off was the inclusiveness of the list. Because these types of groups don't make lists of the people you can copulate with. They make lists of those you can't.

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

D&D Player: Roll 20 for a blowjob from a cyclops.

Gangler

Post by Gangler »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Gangler wrote:Just off the top of my head the anti-gay movement, a whole lot of deity centered movements, just about any racially oriented movement. There are probably more, my knowledge is hardly expansive, but this already seems to be a respectable number of movements.
You're right, now that I think of it.

What threw me off was the inclusiveness of the list. Because these types of groups don't make lists of the people you can copulate with. They make lists of those you can't.
You're thinking through it backwards. It's a list of who you can't have sex with from the perspective that sex with anyone in any way is perfectly cool. From the perspective that sex is only proper within certain contexts for certain purposes it's a list of what those contexts and purposes are.

More often than not the actual wording will be something like "Sex should only be between a and b" or something to that effect. I imagine actually selling it as a limitation would be pretty shitpoor marketing for any movement looking for recruits, which is kind of implicit in being a movement.

Take for example this bit of doctrine from my youth. When asked about the topic he specifically starts with why marriage is sacred and why sex within marriage is a divine part of God's plan. Once he's established that he goes on to say that all other forms of sexuality are wrong by nature of not being within God's plan or matching his intended purpose. He presents it as a list of when to have sex, and then just spends the rest of the talk clarifying that when the situation doesn't match the scenario laid out in the "When to have sex" portion of the talk, that you shouldn't do it.

It's not so much a stop sign as a traffic light. You go when the light's green. Other lights don't mean go, so you don't go when the light isn't green.

Overall I have no problem accepting the notion that when people start talking in such a way I could take it as an indication that I should have gotten off a few stops ago. How long does it take for the warning lights to start going off in your head when someone talks like that?
about to eat your face.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Gangler wrote:More often than not the actual wording will be something like "Sex should only be between a and b" or something to that effect.
This is what I meant.

Gangler

Post by Gangler »

Oh, wait, I get what you were saying. The way the list is phrased implies that there are multiple people, methods, and reasons valid for having sex, which is often not how it goes.
about to eat your face.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Gangler wrote:Oh, wait, I get what you were saying. The way the list is phrased implies that there are multiple people, methods, and reasons valid for having sex, which is often not how it goes.
Precisely.

DareArkin

Post by DareArkin »

Actually, many cults. The Manson Family had rules about that (basically, he got to do everyone, but the other guys had rules.) Raëlism had some thou-shalt-nots, if I remember correctly, as did the "Branch Davidians." Although I might be wrong about the last one.

Darearkin

Post by Darearkin »

Ye gods, somehow my browser didn't load the latter half of that before I replied. Ignore my comment if it's annoyingly in the way. XP

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Did you know that in the State of New York, adults aren't allowed to have sex with minors?
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Did you know that in the State of New York, adults aren't allowed to have sex with minors?
Time to git' out!
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.