[2011-Aug-31] Science Denialists

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

[2011-Aug-31] Science Denialists

Post by ChaoticBrain »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2354#comic

So, I might be horribly misinterpreting this, but is Zach suggesting that liberals are gay?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: [8-31-11] Science Denialists

Post by Lethal Interjection »

You are, yeah.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I think Zach wants us to pretend that gay people don't exist for this comic.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I'm personally confused why not being turned on by boobs automatically makes a man gay.

Also why would this illicit hate male? Unless it's the accusation that being turned on by breasts makes you sexist. I can see that upsetting people.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Did I say that?
I did not say that.

Athough I will admit to the implication that being gay might make a man less likely to be turned on by boobs.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Did I say that?
I did not say that.
No, the comic did. Unless you meant the boob thing in which Chaoticbrain did.
SMBC character wrote:I see the patriarchy has gotten to you.
Alright, so sexist is a strong term, but certainly the implication is there that if you're being turned on by boobs your only doing so because a patriarchal world has brainwashed you into doing so.*
Athough I will admit to the implication that being gay might make a man less likely to be turned on by boobs.
I've met gay men and straight women who were turned on by boobs. Nothing else about women, but apparently boobs were quite spiffy. Sexuality is a very weird and very individual thing. I'm willing to bet there are also many people out there with no boob fetish at all, gay, straight or otherwise.

*And yes I realise this is a joke and Zach doesn't belief this. And no, I don't believe it either.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Woden

Re: [2011-Aug-31] Science Denialists

Post by Woden »

The "Patriarchy" line is a big tip-off that he's poking fun at feminists; my guess would be the "Elevatorgate" drama, specifically, given that it was within the last two months or so, and is still getting a lot of blog entries devoted to it, particularly since a lot of those involved are quite happy to bash science denialists.

Denialist

Post by Denialist »

So, are you implying that I was brainwashed by the liberal media? The thing about breast is ENTIRELY cultural, you moron! (Do you like it like this, or should I put more hate in it?)

CesiumLifeJacket

Post by CesiumLifeJacket »

It's rare that SMBC goes completely over my head, but I have no idea what this comic is about and it's bothering me. Somebody please help?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote:
I've met gay men and straight women who were turned on by boobs. Nothing else about women, but apparently boobs were quite spiffy. Sexuality is a very weird and very individual thing. I'm willing to bet there are also many people out there with no boob fetish at all, gay, straight or otherwise.
This reminds me of an episode in season 1 of Modern Family (good watch, recommend) where Cam and Mitchell (gay couple) go out with their uninhibited female friend (played by Elizabeth Banks). She'd gotten a new boob job and asks if they want to touch them. Mitchell responds with "I'm gay, not dead!"

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Is Mitchell the fat one? I can see him saying that.
King Prawn

Girlysprite

Post by Girlysprite »

I can actually see the point of the comic: These guys might view these scientists as brainwashed, and imply that they themselves have not been affected by brainwashing. However, everyone is brainwashed to a degree (part of growing up and being raised, for example) and the problem with that is that you often can not 'step outside' and see that it happened to you too.

Lazy, cowardly, new

Post by Lazy, cowardly, new »

CesiumLifeJacket wrote:It's rare that SMBC goes completely over my head, but I have no idea what this comic is about and it's bothering me. Somebody please help?
I'm a guest, but I'll chip in: It looks like it's about hypocrisy to me. Redhead complains that right-wing science deniers are brainwashed by society; Brown guy agrees, then makes a statement about boobs; Redhead refutes that statement with a faith-based assumption of his own (breasts are only found sexual due to patriarchal brainwashing), a statement which is born out of being influenced by scientific hypothesis.

But I could just as easily be wrong, it feels weird to analyze an SMBC-comic like this.

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

Now am I mistaken in thinking that there are actually cultures where breasts aren't considered sexual?
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Gay Cultures?

I'm pretty sure boobs are considered awesome in almost any culture that exists, because that's the baby feeding bits (even if that's not the reason for the liking).
King Prawn