[2011-Aug-31] Science Denialists

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Peter

Re: [2011-Aug-31] Science Denialists

Post by Peter »

I'll go further, and state that I'm pretty sure breasts are awesome.

It does looks like a reference to Elevatorgate, actually, more than one of the recent comics have.

precarious

Post by precarious »

Haha, "the patriarchy". The point is that both the right-wingers and the anti-boob guy are following absurd platforms with no factual evidence, and that you can say anyone else's stance "brainwashing" as an excuse for thinking they're an idiot. It doesn't really have anything to do with being gay. Presumably he's straight if his friend is trying to tell him about hot girls. Boobs not being sexual just made for a fun left-wingish anti-science statement. They don't really serve any purpose other than being sexy, which is why no other mammal has them. Nipples yes, boobs no.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

precarious wrote:They don't really serve any purpose other than being sexy, which is why no other mammal has them. Nipples yes, boobs no.
What's an udder?
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

precarious wrote:no other mammal has them
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Gangler wrote:Now am I mistaken in thinking that there are actually cultures where breasts aren't considered sexual?
Nope. At least there are cultures where breasts aren't considered near as sexual as we do. And most definitely areas of the world where they aren't worth having to cover up. (I read an article somewhere once, and I wish I could still find it, but it did feature the line from an African tribesman somewhere saying something along the lines of "You suck on breasts like a baby!?")

Personally I don't think the sexualization of breasts is entirely cultural since nipples are an erogenous zone, but I think the level we've sexualized them to, and certainly the fact that we've sexualized certain types of breasts over others are entirely cultural.
precarious wrote:They don't really serve any purpose other than being sexy, which is why no other mammal has them. Nipples yes, boobs no.
Now I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the primary purpose of breasts is producing milk.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

grin2b

Post by grin2b »

Man, you guys are having the exact same error that has me irritated with this comic :P

Breasts feed--ok, we all get that. But, point is, you can have a social attraction to anything and justify it, based on the desired functionality/trait that attribute represents. Big boobs, for instance, are very much culturally isolated. No more than a century ago, flapper girls were considered the epitome of attractive, and they were flat as ironing boards. Speaking of which, does anyone remember "Twiggy?"

The sad irony is that, as precarious points out, this comic is about avoiding partisan parochialism--but Zach's apparent lack of historical knowledge is itself historically parochial. :P Further, it's almost dangerous to claim that attraction is "evolved," when patriarchy actually has placed tremendous pressure on the shape of women's bodies. And, while everything within life truly is evolution, that doesn't mean evolution operates strictly on organisms, genes, or even epigenes: See, for instance, neural Darwinism. This is the means by which socialization and evolution truly overlap, and the area in which stereotypical ev-psych explanations rightly blur.

But, it's just a damn comic, and I'm only posting cuz I'm bored at work. Tschus!

Kpyolysis

Post by Kpyolysis »

I think what he was referring to was that humans are, iirc, the only mammals whose breasts are constantly engorged. Most mammals' breasts shrink down when they do not have young to feed

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

grin2b wrote:But, it's just a damn comic, and I'm only posting cuz I'm bored at work. Tschus!
Register a gorramed account already! you post often enough to justify it, plus your opinions aren't absurdly obnoxious!
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kpyolysis wrote:I think what he was referring to was that humans are, iirc, the only mammals whose breasts are constantly engorged. Most mammals' breasts shrink down when they do not have young to feed
I don't think you understand human biology very well.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Edminster wrote:
grin2b wrote:But, it's just a damn comic, and I'm only posting cuz I'm bored at work. Tschus!
Register a gorramed account already! you post often enough to justify it, plus your opinions aren't absurdly obnoxious!
thaaaaaank youuuuuuu

gödel stop spreading fud

Thomas Largedick

Post by Thomas Largedick »

I'm a big fan of breasts, I like a B cup.

However, I prefer a nice firm ass.

Yes, please.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote:Is Mitchell the fat one? I can see him saying that.
Actually, no. Mitch is the redhead.

Crimson_RTR

Post by Crimson_RTR »

After consideration, I believe the comic points out an inherent hypocrisy with some degrees of feminism. Namely, the position being criticized insists that men have been "brainwashed" by a male dominated society into believing that women's bodies and various parts of their anatomy such as breasts are sexually attractive, thereby furthering the objectification of women.

The fact that the redhead in the comic decries "right-wing science denialists" for not using reason and objectivity( but rather emotion and subjective bias) and then makes a completely subjective claim ( perhaps being brainwashed by the "matriarchy" ) that breast are not inherently sexual shows a lack of inquiry as to the function of breasts themselves. Consider this, human women develop breasts at the beginning of puberty which grow to comically large sizes when compared to other mammals. This growth is independent of milk production or pregnancy and would serve little purpose in a classic evolution model of adaptation to environmental cues. Rather, breasts themselves may be the product of sexual selection which is the same process that drives male peacocks' colorful feathers. This establishes a theoretical basis to state "Human breasts are the product of sexual selection in early man" completely negating the feminist viewpoint in this comic.

The humor itself comes from recognizing the dissonance between these two views. On the one hand, the red head states he firmly believes in science and the power of rational objectivity, but simultaneously makes a statement of fact that all breast-loving men have been influenced completely by the nurture side of psychology without any consideration for the nature side: the side that theoretically gave rise to breasts in the first place.

Bam! :geek:

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

smiley_cow wrote:
Gangler wrote:Now am I mistaken in thinking that there are actually cultures where breasts aren't considered sexual?
Nope. At least there are cultures where breasts aren't considered near as sexual as we do. And most definitely areas of the world where they aren't worth having to cover up. (I read an article somewhere once, and I wish I could still find it, but it did feature the line from an African tribesman somewhere saying something along the lines of "You suck on breasts like a baby!?")

Personally I don't think the sexualization of breasts is entirely cultural since nipples are an erogenous zone, but I think the level we've sexualized them to, and certainly the fact that we've sexualized certain types of breasts over others are entirely cultural.
Ah, that makes sense. Mostly the degree and manner in which they're sexualized that's cultural.

Personally I'm into the smaller ones. A lot of people just seem to think "Biggest boob is best boob" to such an extreme degree that full blown melons that can barely be contained by standardized cuts of fabric are great.

Then these assholes take pencil to paper and I'm just like "What are we even doing here? You killed it. You killed boobs for me"

I definitely subscribe to the old adage. "More than a handful is a waste."
Last edited by Gangler on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Gangler wrote:I definitely subscribe to the old adage. "More than a handful is a waste."
According to a reverse image search you like Imageteen incest hentaiImage.

Stop Posting Creepy Shit.

gödel stop spreading fud