[2011-Sep-09] Equilibrium

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Quintushalls

[2011-Sep-09] Equilibrium

Post by Quintushalls »

Link: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2363#comic

Did he basically just copy the plot to Equilibrium?

Also, I have to say I am not a huge fan of these type of comics. They seem to repeat themselves using different situations each time. I need more dick jokes!

Guh

Re: [2011-Sep-09] Equilibrium

Post by Guh »

can someone please tell zach that wordiness is not cleverness? it's like digging through a novel to get to one mediocre joke

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Equilibrium banned emotion in totality, if I recall.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Equilibrium banned emotion in totality, if I recall.
Taye Diggs smiled all through that damn movie, he seemed pretty happy to me.

But yeah, I've been saying for a long-ass time that the long comics are terrible.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Edminster wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Equilibrium banned emotion in totality, if I recall.
Taye Diggs smiled all through that damn movie, he seemed pretty happy to me.
This was probably my least favourite thing about the movie.

grin2b

Post by grin2b »

You're fucking stupid. This comic was genius. Positivity is the opiate of charisma and social dominance, in a society where power comes from admiration. Admiration in turn comes from social learning through emotional contagion: We imitate those who seem to live well. Or, put differently: We follow the leader. Positivity, then, is a way to artificially generate leadership. Given that we live in a society where positivity/charisma dominates our lives, we will see it as a virtue, in the same way that a patriarchal society promotes patriarchal religion as an opiate of the masses: It alleviates our cognitive dissonance, and enhances our social potency. When a trait/behavior is seen as virtuous, and when society is seen as authoritarian, and when we cannot stomach to question social arbitrariness, we will drive social arbitrariness to its extremes, usually through state violence. The most modern example of this is the War on Drugs, but statist crusades of virtue have been overwhelmingly common in Western history. This comic is about sociopolitical pollution.

If you're looking for a reading list, try Bandura, Decety and Marx/Festinger.

Honestly, if I had any criticism of this comic, it would be that emotional regulation is not limited to positivity: But that would bring us into the realm of Debord or something.

OH YEAH: Wikipedia has this wonderful gem in its article for Equilibrium...
In a slightly more emotional statement during a Sci Fi Dimentions interview, Wimmer implied that he values fan reaction above critical reception: 'Why would I make a movie for someone I wouldn't want to hang out with? Have you ever met a critic who you wanted to party with? I haven't.'

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I don't like you.

Maybe it's because you think that this comic is cause for a thesis or something.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Are you allowed to start theses like that?
This opens up a new world of opportunities!
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I feel entirely responsible for that mess of idiocy posited by grin for encouraging him (or it, i'm no genderist) to post.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

Let's hope Gavin doesn't stumble into this topic...
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

grin2b wrote:You're fucking stupid. This comic was genius. Positivity is the opiate of charisma and social dominance, in a society where power comes from admiration. Admiration in turn comes from social learning through emotional contagion: We imitate those who seem to live well. Or, put differently: We follow the leader. Positivity, then, is a way to artificially generate leadership. Given that we live in a society where positivity/charisma dominates our lives, we will see it as a virtue, in the same way that a patriarchal society promotes patriarchal religion as an opiate of the masses: It alleviates our cognitive dissonance, and enhances our social potency. When a trait/behavior is seen as virtuous, and when society is seen as authoritarian, and when we cannot stomach to question social arbitrariness, we will drive social arbitrariness to its extremes, usually through state violence. The most modern example of this is the War on Drugs, but statist crusades of virtue have been overwhelmingly common in Western history. This comic is about sociopolitical pollution.

If you're looking for a reading list, try Bandura, Decety and Marx/Festinger.

Honestly, if I had any criticism of this comic, it would be that emotional regulation is not limited to positivity: But that would bring us into the realm of Debord or something.

OH YEAH: Wikipedia has this wonderful gem in its article for Equilibrium...
In a slightly more emotional statement during a Sci Fi Dimentions interview, Wimmer implied that he values fan reaction above critical reception: 'Why would I make a movie for someone I wouldn't want to hang out with? Have you ever met a critic who you wanted to party with? I haven't.'
I'm sorry. You have schizophrenia.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Is Grin2b suggesting that Zach should do a Twisp and Catsby?

Quintushalls

Post by Quintushalls »

grin2b wrote:You're fucking stupid. This comic was genius. Positivity is the opiate of charisma and social dominance...tl;dr
While I disagree with what you say (I think?), I will fight to the death for your right to say it! I, for one, welcome your long, thought-out posts that I will never read.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Quintushalls wrote:thought-out
why are you referencing something that did not happen and also misquoting Evelyn Hall.

gödel stop spreading fud

ijustneedtopostonething

Post by ijustneedtopostonething »

Slightly off-topic:

I can't get the comic or the menu to load on the smbc-comics.com site using any of my web browsers. Comics via RSS load perfectly, but images on the site won't load except for the ads and the blog blurbs. I have screenshots from Firefox, Safari and Chrome that show the same thing.

Am I the only one?