This week in Australia

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: This week in Australia

Post by Apocalyptus »

I think the best thing about it was that he had the Australian flag stuffed between his cheeks at the time.
I've got to give him points for daring and originality just for that.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

Perhaps he was not arrested for mooning ol' Queenie but for shitting all over the flag. YOU NEVER KNOW

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Oh
True.
Desecration.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Do we actually care about desecration of the flag? I was pretty sure you could do anything to the flag and no-one cared.

General public indecency would have been all they needed to arrest him.
King Prawn

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Union Jack on beach towels/parachutes/underpants = Image

Union Jack desecrated = Image

...actually no-one cares about what who does with what flag. That's totes a USAmerican thing, right? Overheard someone in Noo Yawk say they'd rather shoot and kill a person if they ever see them allow the Stars 'n' Stripes even touch the unwashed ground... That's patriotism for you!
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Some decent reforms to the success rules. Well done Queenie, well done.
King Prawn

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

fuck everyone who cares about this

It is a problem that is at the least 60 years away and at the most will never happen within any of our lifetimes. The Queen didn't start this by the way, this is the Flashman trying to distract everyone from his lizardman antics.

It is an actual possibility that the monarchy will be abolished before this law is ever needed.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Okay, sure it might be irrelevant for a hundred years. But unlike Japan they aren't waiting for it to be relevant before addressing the issue. I like that. And I'm not saying is life changing or anything, but a little bit of acknowledgement of a females power is a good thing.

And do you really think the royal family is going to disappear? Even if they have no power (which is effectively the case) people like them, people want to think of their being some rich powerful family who is the embodiment of their culture. England will not give them up in any hurry, nor will the tabloids.
King Prawn

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

The republican movement is growing in your country Kimra.

and it will grow in mine too, the tabloids are awful predictors of things to come and they aren't representative of the country as a whole.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Meh. I don't see it happening. Doesn't mean it wont, but I honestly don't see it happening. Australia doesn't care enough to do anything about it either, sometimes they have a referendum etc but the royal family is so highly unconnected with us that they'd have to actually start poking around in our politics before people actually took the effort to notice.
King Prawn

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

I reckon it'll happen. I hope it will, because it'll mean we've sorted out enough of the real problems to get around to straightening out the constitution.

As in, I don't want to be a subject any more.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kimra wrote:Okay, sure it might be irrelevant for a hundred years. But unlike Japan they aren't waiting until they have absolutely no other choice before addressing the issue.
Fix'd.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

But Japan got over their problem, the ahhh princes brother had a son? So he gets the throne. Maybe it was the princes cousin, but eitherway there is a male heir and they are sticking with that. Means the princess just gets to be a nothing for her whole life, that sounds exciting.
King Prawn

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. No way they can even discuss the idea of the princess become the heir unless there is absolutely no other options. When Koizumi was PM he created a council to discuss the possibility of changing the law, the moment they found out a prince was going to be born, he disbanded it.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Lame. I think it would have done them good to have a female ruler for a while.
King Prawn