[2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Gruest

[2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Post by Gruest »

I actually enjoyed today's comic, despite it featuring Zach's signature Child-Who-Knows-A-Lot-About-An-Academic-Subject-At-The-Expense-Of-An-Adult's-Dignity-Or-Convenience character.

Here's why -
  • First of all, there was an actual joke.
  • The joke was funny (or at least airtight) and concise. The premise, albeit stupid, is set up and reasonably paced over two panels, and the punchline, derived from the plausible believability of child's misunderstanding, is delivered in the third panel. Done.
  • It made no effort educate the reader about Zach's worldview. This is good, because the parts of his worldview he makes into comics are either stupid or have been made into comics so many times that there's no way any comic of Zach's featuring them could be funny (Existential angst is our man on both accounts).
  • There aren't any trite strawman satires of creationists/politicians/anti-science proponents ["What's the difference?" joke here].
Zach doesn't read this forum.

Gruest

Re: [2011-Nov-01] Smart Children are Dumb

Post by Gruest »

I'll add "...potentially amusing because it is..." directly after "...,and the punchline,..."

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

You are good please do two things.

1. Stay Cool
2. Register

I am racist against the unregistered posters, this guy's one of the good ones.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Gruest wrote:I actually enjoyed today's comic, despite it featuring Zach's signature Child-Who-Knows-A-Lot-About-An-Academic-Subject-At-The-Expense-Of-An-Adult's-Dignity-Or-Convenience character.

Here's why -
  • First of all, there was an actual joke.
  • The joke was funny (or at least airtight) and concise. The premise, albeit stupid, is set up and reasonably paced over two panels, and the punchline, derived from the plausible believability of child's misunderstanding, is delivered in the third panel. Done.
  • It made no effort educate the reader about Zach's worldview. This is good, because the parts of his worldview he makes into comics are either stupid or have been made into comics so many times that there's no way any comic of Zach's featuring them could be funny (Existential angst is our man on both accounts).
  • There aren't any trite strawman satires of creationists/politicians/anti-science proponents ["What's the difference?" joke here].
Zach doesn't read this forum.
This post was made by and handsome and virile person, who we should all look to for Good Opinions.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

I love the terrified look on the child's face.
HE'S CAPABLE OF ANYTHING.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Gruest

Post by Gruest »

I'm surprised my little review went over so well; the diction could use some work.

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

I'm facing a dilemma. On one hand, Gruest, you're pretty cool. On the other hand, you're a newbie and therefore a threat to my position as best newbie at this current time. And on the other hand, I don't know where did this third hand come from oh my god help me

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Jiro wrote:On the other hand, you're a newbie and therefore a threat to my position as best newbie at this current time.
don't worry you never had this position
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Wow Jiro, you should feel like a great weight has lifted from your shoulders.

Jiro
Carbon copy

Post by Jiro »

That is a great relief. Now I can resume my true position as the token Australian. Wait...

I don't even do anything that you guys haven't got covered. Are any of you pyromaniacs? How about insomniacs? I'll settle for the token psycho, if that's all that's left.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

How can you be the token Australian if there's heaps of us?
Psycho is very, very taken. I'm a pyromaniac, but not a practitioner, so maybe...?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Eisbreaker
He Who Must Not Be d

Post by Eisbreaker »

I got all those three covered, so it's cool.

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one either.
Don't drink and drive, take LSD and Teleport.

In Jam
[Insert Penis Here]

Post by In Jam »

Hey, how about you be the guy who appropriates mental illnesses to make himself sound quirky?

I love quirky people.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Borderline disorder. Hilarious.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Post by Guest »

I'm bipolar because I think that's a license to be an unpredictable dick at times, and wallow in self pity when I'm not. Also, when I do or say something nonsensical or illogical, it's because I'm quirky.

Contemporary romantic comedies have taught me many things.