GC Rant: Guitar Hero

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Rants?!

Get yourself a blog, Crayon, nobody cares.
25%
You might as well, if I don't find it interesting, I'll skip your post.
75%

Total votes: 4

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

GC Rant: Guitar Hero

Post by GreenCrayon »

I like Guitar Hero.

That's not really what the rant is about. First, I should explain what the [censored] I'm doing. I could just start a blog nobody would read, and wait for the inevitable lack-lustre comments from some unthinking net-denizen, but I've realised the audience -- and responses -- I want are right here. So, I'm thinking of ranting once in a while. It's not like my post count lately has been high enough to induce vertigo, anyway.

So, back to the subject.

I've never yet actually owned a console made by Sony, but I've regularly borrowed one from one friend or other. A bit over a year ago, I bought Guitar Hero (with awesome faux-guitar controller) for a friend's birthday, and when she brought it over to share, I found I really quite liked it. But not as much as my lady, who was quite smitten with the game, and requested I buy it -- and a PS2 -- for her own birthday, which I dutifully did. So, I've had many an opportunity to grow fond of the game, and its sequel.

Now, I've mentioned my liking of Guitar Hero in a few places at various times, and invariably I've received a response that really annoys me. "People who play Guitar Hero should play a real guitar instead!" come the shouts. And that's what annoys me.

When a gamer decides to play a sport sim, should that gamer have instead partaken in the actual sport? I can concede this is a possibility, though probably a great deal harder if the sport is a team sport, and the gamer is playing late at night. Should a first-person shooter put down the controller and pick up a real gun instead? I'm starting to feel doubtful at this line of logic. Should a strategy-game fan put the keyboard and mouse away, and invest his or her money to become the CEO of a business? Almost definitely not, even if they had the money.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, at what point do these people think that a game should be replaced by the actual activity it's representing? Are these people so insecure? Do they assume Guitar Hero players are going to think that just because they can pull off a flawless rendition of "Ace of Spades" on Expert that playing a real guitar is easy? Can these proponents of the real guitar actually see a group of 4 or 5 slightly-tipsy friends crowding around a genuine guitar, taking it in turns trying to play a song?

Well, that's my rant done. Feel free to tell me your opinions, especially if you can coherently explain why I should stop enjoying a video game.
Pirate.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Jaydee wrote:You have an extremely good point with the 4 or 5 friends drinking, taking it in turns to play a song.
i'm glad i'm not the only one spending too much time doing this.
Jaydee wrote:When you're dead no one cares.
this is exactly wrong. when you're dead everyone you know cares, 'cept yourself... cuz you're dead.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: GC Rant: Guitar Hero

Post by Lethal Interjection »

GreenCrayon wrote: "People who play Guitar Hero should play a real guitar instead!" come the shouts. And that's what annoys me.... Do they assume Guitar Hero players are going to think that just because they can pull off a flawless rendition of "Ace of Spades" on Expert that playing a real guitar is easy?
What is particularly dumb about that comment is that Guitar Hero actually has a lot less to with actual guitar playing, and a lot more to do with rhythym and whatnot. This is why it has been proven that drummer are most often the best at this game.
GreenCrayon wrote: When a gamer decides to play a sport sim, should that gamer have instead partaken in the actual sport? I can concede this is a possibility, though probably a great deal harder if the sport is a team sport, and the gamer is playing late at night. Should a first-person shooter put down the controller and pick up a real gun instead? I'm starting to feel doubtful at this line of logic. Should a strategy-game fan put the keyboard and mouse away, and invest his or her money to become the CEO of a business? Almost definitely not, even if they had the money.
And should someone who really enjoys playing the Sims go out and get a real life? Well, yeah, actually.
GreenCrayon wrote: Can these proponents of the real guitar actually see a group of 4 or 5 slightly-tipsy friends crowding around a genuine guitar, taking it in turns trying to play a song?
I've never actually played the game myself (other than in a Best Buy one time), but that is precisely what I found fascinating about Guitar Hero. It's a party game, that is equally loved by both genders.
I don't know if Nintendo's inspiration for the Wii was from this game or not, but it has the same principle for a good portion of its games, and Nintendo is brilliant for doing it like that.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

May I direct you to this satire?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Simon.
Simon.

Post by Simon. »

mountainmage wrote:May I direct you to this satire?
May I direct you to this totally true assessment?
Not a big fan of signatures.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Simon. wrote:
May I direct you to this totally slanderous lie?
Of course you can! Doesn't mean I am going to heed his drivel and stop reading a funny comic, of course. That would just be plain silly.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Hmmm, I didn't know the topic had already been covered. I don't usually read CTRL-ALT-DEL, unless Tim satirises it.

I still feel better for having written the rant, though. And I didn't need to decapitate anyone.
Pirate.

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

i read CAD, but from a similar stand point of how i still read hamsters city and boston and shaun.

Hal

Post by Hal »

ruotwocone wrote:hamsters city
I saw you guys talking about that somewhere on here once. I read it and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Also, I have a friend who plays the real guitar and he thinks I'm a jerk for loving me some GH. I've found that the people who hate on it usually haven't ever given it a chance.

Play it jerks, it's not a guitar. It's pseudo-guitar fun.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I also have never gotten in to CtrlAltDelete. It has its moments, but I just don't care for it. My roomate loves that kind of stuff, but my webcomic* preferences tend towards SMBC-like fare**.

*Actually, my preferences in regular news comics is similar. Mostly I prefer non-storyline comics.
**Two posts in a row with the word "fare". Strange.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

meh. CtrlAltDel's storyline is funny, as is Nuklear Power's. I think in those cases a storyline is necessary and entertaining.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:meh. CtrlAltDel's storyline is funny, as is Nuklear Power's. I think in those cases a storyline is necessary and entertaining.
I don't mind storyline comics, I just find myself less interested. I mean, the only storyline comics I have favourited are Captain Excelsior and Multiplex (well, PA has occasional arcs, but nothing major)*.

*I also had Synchronicity, though it went defunct a while before I had my computer crash, and thus I've never bothered re-favourite-ing it.

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:meh. CtrlAltDel's storyline is funny, as is Nuklear Power's. I think in those cases a storyline is necessary and entertaining.
i understand that they're buddies and all, but i would disagree... 8-bit theater has a funny storyline revolving around stupidity, mindless violence, and subtle nerd pop culture references. Whereas CAD has a boring storyline based around (unintentional) sexism, cliche robots, and gamer stereotypes.

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

Post by GirlsDontDoThat »

I've never actually played Guitar Hero (though I've heard wonderful things). My entire life I've loved music but stink when it comes to actually picking up the trombone, so I'm pretty much on bad terms with instruments.

However, I wholeheartedly support this new wave of interactive video gaming. From DDR (my best friends mom recently lost 50 lbs, and plays DDR when it rains and she can't ride her bike or jog, or whatever it is healthy people do) to the Wii (that minor flick of the wrist on the title menu is more calories lost for Joe Wii, that the direction key pressin' Johnny SegaGenesis.)

In short, if I had any interest in guitars and a glorious lack of self respect, I'd totally go out and by myself a DDR pad and a faux guitar.

And so would you!
"Everyone needs a good uncle. I can be your uncle."