[2012-Apr-10] Plancking

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Re: [2012-Apr-10] Plancking

Post by Guest »

ChaoticBrain wrote:http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2576#comic

In case people want to know what Zach is even talking about.

Of course, what the engineer failed to take into account is that string theory indicates that objects can be smaller than the Planck length, and those that are can basically defy the laws of physics as we can identify them on the human scale, making them, for all intents and purposes, incorporeal. And since the philosophical implication of this question is that angels are incorporeal... well, simply put, this bozo managed to make engineering look like a less legitimate field of study than philosophy.
Your rebuttal fails to take into account that string theory is both completely incapable of being tested and is a subject of debate among physicists. I.e. string theory isn't accepted by a near consensus of physicists, so you shouldn't use it in arguments.
Also, string theory explicitly does NOT allow for things to be smaller than the Planck length (and have physical properties, i.e. things less than Planck length are meaningless, the concept of "existence" is debatable at that point).
Modern theories do allow things to exist at the Planck length, it is just impossible to describe anything happening at less than Planck length (i.e. quantum effects take over and make two particles less than 1 Planck length apart completely indistinguishable).

Also, the laws of physics at the human scale are called Newtonian Mechanics. It was proved 100 years ago that they do not apply in a variety of circumstances.

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:It's gonna be a loooong time before engineering and the Planck scale have anything to do with each other.
Engineers need to know quantum mechanics for a lot of things, and you can't have any quantum physics without Planks constant. So they don't build at that scale per say but anything to do with certain wavelengths of light is multiples of Planks constant.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Does anyone have any questions about linguistics?? I know about that.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

ChaoticBrain
[ASK] me about supple pony flanks

Post by ChaoticBrain »

DonRetrasado wrote:Does anyone have any questions about linguistics?? I know about that.
Yes. How do you pronounce .̴̤̖͔͎̜̯̜͈́͝8̷͖͍̺͎̤̬̩̟͝]̬͖͈*̵͏̱͎̳͓̯̺̟ͅ-̢̬̻͙̮̦̝̣͍́r̦̪̖͚͈̲͚̗̀͠͠:̢̯̖:̤͉̘̲̹̞͇̝/̛͕̙̀ ?

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

It rhymes with st]̬͖͈*̵͏̱͎̳͓̯̺̟ͅ-̢̬̻͙̮̦̝̣͍́r̦̪̖͚͈̲͚̗̀͠͠:̢̯̖:̤͉̘̲̹̞͇̝/̛͕̙̀.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

/ˈ.̴̤̖͔͎̜̯̜͈́͝8̷͖͍̺͎̤̬̩̟͝]̬͖͈*̵͏̱͎̳͓̯̺̟ͅ-̢̬̻͙̮̦̝̣͍́r̦̪̖͚͈̲͚̗̀͠͠:̢̯̖:̤͉̘̲̹̞͇̝/̛͕̙̀/ duh
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

NA48

Post by NA48 »

Q.E.D, It would seem that you do not understand what Q.E.D. means.

Spinalcold

Post by Spinalcold »

NA48 wrote:Q.E.D, It would seem that you do not understand what Q.E.D. means.
Quantum Electro Dynamics?

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Quod Erat Demonstrandum?
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Jewlian

Post by Jewlian »

K^2 wrote:And this is precisely why we don't let engineers anywhere near real physics.
I swear! I haven't had a single drop of real physics since college.

Sprinkles
[Insert Here]

Post by Sprinkles »

WELL HOW DO WE KNOW YOU AREN'T LYING

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Well according to Pratchett and Gaiman, it is impossible to determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin because angels don't dance. Except for Aziraphale, who can do the gavotte.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Jewlian wrote:
K^2 wrote:And this is precisely why we don't let engineers anywhere near real physics.
I swear! I haven't had a single drop of real physics since college.
Or, more accurately, you didn't inhale.

Jewlian

Post by Jewlian »

Sprinkles wrote:WELL HOW DO WE KNOW YOU AREN'T LYING
OK! I Admit it. I've been sneaking in an extra dimension or two when I thought no one was looking. I just couldn't help myself....