[2012-Jun-20] Lifehacking

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

mcc

[2012-Jun-20] Lifehacking

Post by mcc »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2647

What I like here is that the restaurant actually is named "RESTAURANT"

I'm choosing to take this as if this isn't an abstraction for sake of cartooning, and instead somewhere in a drab city is a squat mustard building with a dirty orange facade reading "RESTAURANT" in huge letters

This man has chosen to eat there

Re: [2012-June-20] Lifehacking

Post by Guest »

I don't get it... cheese, olives, cashews and a load of dressing.. sounds delicious!

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

mcc wrote:http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2647

What I like here is that the restaurant actually is named "RESTAURANT"

I'm choosing to take this as if this isn't an abstraction for sake of cartooning, and instead somewhere in a drab city is a squat mustard building with a dirty orange facade reading "RESTAURANT" in huge letters

This man has chosen to eat there
Moreover, this restaurant employs somebody with the job title "Salad Bar Clerk."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Not Making an Account

Post by Not Making an Account »

Post by Guest »

The irony is that all the mentioned items weigh significantly more than lettuce.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Guest wrote:The irony is that all the mentioned items weigh significantly more than lettuce.
Because jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them...*

The joke is that all the ingredients he mentioned are presumably more expensive by unit weight than something like lettuce. So yes, he may have payed more for the 'salad,' but he got more 'value.' The joke is that although theoretically beat the system, he didn't actually get more value because it is a terrible meal. The highest value approach is not always the best approach. Engineers (especially those engaged in the value engineering process obviously) are often stereotyped as being too focused on cost efficiency and designing a terrible product because they didn't consider other factors.

*I make no claims as to whether the joke was funny or not to begin with.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Post by Salacious Schoolmate »

Oh that was the joke? I thought it was that there was a place in america that served salad

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Zing!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lich Mong

Post by Lich Mong »

What I found most funny is that most of those things he mentioned are pretty heavy. A lot more dense then lightly packed lettuce at any rate.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

I wish I could find differences in weight funny for no good reason.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

You just have learn to enjoy the lighter things in life for that.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

mcc

Post by mcc »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:Moreover, this restaurant employs somebody with the job title "Salad Bar Clerk."
Job title... or legal name?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Lich Mong wrote:What I found most funny is that most of those things he mentioned are pretty heavy. A lot more dense then lightly packed lettuce at any rate.
As someone (essentially) said, it is likely that the cost-by-weight salad bar is taking an average cost/weight ratio and charging by that average. So by packing your plate full of items that have a higher cost/weight ratio than the average means you are sticking it to the salad bar man.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Maybe we're looking at this wrong, maybe he's saying the joke was so bad that the thing he found most funny was that something was heavy.

Kim

Post by Kim »

There's that word again, "Heavy". Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?