[2012-Jul-06] Do not do unto others

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Re: [2012 July 6] Do not do unto others

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Ivan wrote:Sure there are perfect ethical laws. e.g. The initiation of use of force is wrong.
I'd bet you'd love to criticize that, wouldn't you, you Critics! But you can't. It's not for you.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

bgrunge wrote:Just referencing the bible, since, you know, we're talking about Jesus and he's pretty much exclusively defined by it. Figured it was relevant. Too many people willing to discuss the subject though haven't read word one about it, which is disturbing.

P.S. It's "were", not "where", and you need a "the" or perhaps "his" in front of "apostles". Smartass posts only work if you actually look/are smart.
Actually, I think smart-ass posts are more hilarious if they are not proofread and contain errors. It gives everyone the opportunity to laugh at the person being a smart-ass.

P.S. "Smartass" should be hyphenated, the "a" is not necessary and horribly awkward in the phrase "...and you need a "the" or perhaps...", and "look/are" is just bad composition. Insulting the intelligent of someone else only works if you at least appear to be more intelligent than them.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kaharz wrote:
bgrunge wrote:Just referencing the bible, since, you know, we're talking about Jesus and he's pretty much exclusively defined by it. Figured it was relevant. Too many people willing to discuss the subject though haven't read word one about it, which is disturbing.

P.S. It's "were", not "where", and you need a "the" or perhaps "his" in front of "apostles". Smartass posts only work if you actually look/are smart.
Actually, I think smart-ass posts are more hilarious if they are not proofread and contain errors. It gives everyone the opportunity to laugh at the person being a smart-ass.

P.S. "Smartass" should be hyphenated, the "a" is not necessary and horribly awkward in the phrase "...and you need a "the" or perhaps...", and "look/are" is just bad composition. Insulting the intelligent of someone else only works if you at least appear to be more intelligent than them.
Let's just split the difference and agree that you are both idiots.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Let's just split the difference and agree that you are both idiots.
No disagreement here.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

running_bear

Post by running_bear »

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law."

Immanuel Kant, proving lesser minds wrong for over 250 years.

LazyFellow

Post by LazyFellow »

Perfect ethical law: Make actions to increase the overall positive states of being relative to negative states of being within the universe.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Post by Salacious Schoolmate »

running_bear wrote:"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law."

Immanuel Kant thought that things had other things that you couldn't detect inside them, but no other things had it, just that thing.

His rule isn't that good, what if I'm a dick? I'm hitting you in the face, and the universal law is that I'm allowed to hit anyone in the face.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Salacious Schoolmate wrote:
running_bear wrote:"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law."

Immanuel Kant thought that things had other things that you couldn't detect inside them, but no other things had it, just that thing.

His rule isn't that good, what if I'm a dick? I'm hitting you in the face, and the universal law is that I'm allowed to hit anyone in the face.
Exactly this. Kant's golden rule would not work so well to keep sociopaths in check. Or really anyone who would do well in an anarchy or any other situation without social contract (the very strong/smart, for example).

Post by Guest »

LazyFellow wrote:Perfect ethical law: Make actions to increase the overall positive states of being relative to negative states of being within the universe.
Got it. All electrons must die! :twisted:

Post by Guest »

I don't know about perfect but I rather like Primum non nocere, or do no harm in a general context. Far superior to do unto others for a variety of reasons, though it rests on the meaning of words, specifically harm. Can anyone think of good reasons why it's not perfect?

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

Well in cases where you have to do harm, such as if you had a train going down a track about to kill five workmen but you had a lever that could divert the train to another track with one workman on it. So do no harm in a general context is an impossible ask.

Post by Guest »

What if a man with cystic fibrosis needs a lung transplant, but the only way to put the new lungs into his body is to break open his ribcage and rip out his old ones? Sounds pretty "harm first" to me.

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

No, that's not a good example because you're giving him better lungs in the end, so you're doing a good thing.

FarleShadow

Post by FarleShadow »

Universal law: There are no universal laws.

"I think that's a PARAD..." *pop!*

Salacious Schoolmate
[Insert Here]

"there are no universal laws except this one" solved youre' problem 4 u