Super Mario Galaxy

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Simon.
Simon.

Super Mario Galaxy

Post by Simon. »

So I got my 120th star today, and it was a pretty shitty ending, more on that later though. The game was pretty freaking fantastic, it was really easy to play through, in the sense of not getting bored. It was a bit easy, and like all mario's you get the chance to beat bowser when you're nowhere near finished. The levels were great, and the design was fantastic, I didn't have any real gripes with the controls, apart from a few of the final comet levels, but that was just difficulty rather than bad design.

SPOILERS

Nah not really.

Maybe though, if you seriously don't want to know anything about the horribly empty plot, at all, or the rewards for beating it, don't read on I guess.

What a shit ending though. The story line was pretty weak from the beginning. I mean, most Mario games aren't strong on it, apart from some of the rpg ones like Paper Mario, but this was shitty. Once I had 120 stars, Rosalina was all "we have enough power to go to another galaxy!.. But first you have to rescue your loved one!" Which I should mention I had already done, in fact you cannot GET 120 stars UNTIL you rescue Peach. I chose to get as many stars as I could before I killed Bowser, as I felt once I did it on the other Mario games, I felt less inclined to get the rest of the stars, so I held off. In this case it was 103 stars before I could get no more. Once Bowser was beaten though, the elusive purple comet appears, and another star opens up on each level, allowing 120 to be attained.

In any case after I had killed bowser the SECOND time, I got no new galaxy. Nothing, all I got was Luigi, a poor consolation prize in my opinion. So I was mighty pissed off at that. No new galaxy? Fuck you Rosalina, I saved your goddamn "family" from extinction, and all you do is throw my back at bowser? YOU'RE A GOOD PERSON. Never helping her again, that's for sure.

The trial galaxies were pretty fucking hard, but I beat them eventually, the ray surfing one being just stupid. Not a good control system there, but that's what you get with a gimicky wiimote race control.

So yeah, anyone else got the game? What are your thoughts? Hope I didn't ruin anything for you with the not really spoiler spoilers.
Not a big fan of signatures.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

it is my number 2 christmas item behind Guitar Hero III (for wii of course), so i'll let you know how it goes in january

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

January is here. I demand an update on the situation!
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Did you write that on the calendar or something there whizzers?

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

I am getting it sometime this week. Dont worry i will let you know how it goes.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

i did get it for Christmas, but have yet to play it as i know that i'll get hooked if i do and won't play anything else. So basically i've been playing the eight* other video games that i got for christmas first. So i'll let you know how it goes come February/March

*that is not an exaggeration, i really got 9 video games for christmas... woo!

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

I like this game. It has good graphics. the story line is simple enough that people new to mario style games will understand his style of world saving.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

HARDKORE wrote:I like this game. It has good graphics. the story line is simple enough that people new to mario style games will understand his style of world saving.
Do mushrooms, be better than his brother, genocide of turtles and walking mushrooms?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Brother Dysk

Post by Brother Dysk »

HARDKORE wrote:I like this game. It has good graphics. the story line is simple enough that people new to mario style games will understand his style of world saving.
As opposed to all those Mario-style games with overly complex storylines...
Fuck 'em.

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

uh, hello? paper mario 2

Lottel

Post by Lottel »

Well, I got it when the game came out. I played it for a week nonstop. I was great. (well, a week nonstop with two jobs and classes)

I loved the physics, which played a huge role in the whole jumping from "planet" to "planet" and the level design was clever and fun (like the toy levels? Amazing!)

I have only two complaints. First off, the camera. You couldn't control it and when you could, all you do is turn your head a little. I kept falling off ledges I couldn't fucking see. Secondly, the scientific terms. The galaxy was more of a solar system. The planets where more of small chunks of rock suspended in a common atomosphere. I know it is a dumb reason to dislike a game and I know he's just a plumber but dammit anyway!
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

mountainmage Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do mushrooms, be better than his brother, genocide of turtles and walking mushrooms?

That is the best way to describe it ever. Dont forget about saving the princess

Paper mario for gamecube was kinda tricky. Going from 2d to 3d was not fun. i want something more along the side scrolling from the 90's

Lottel

Post by Lottel »

you found a mario game tricky?! :lol:

The closest they come to tricky is Legend of the Seven Stars.

And that was... "tricky"
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

i cant fly worth crap. It took me one hour to get the rings.

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

k, i just got my 30th star today (i started playing a couple days ago) and here's my initial thoughts:

- they totally boned you again (read Paper Mario 2) not being able to just hit "a" really fast to scroll through text that you've already read 100 times.

- a lot of people complained about the camera angles, and i'd say that although they aren't perfect, i haven't been screwed by them yet.

- swimming is a bit annoying to control

- everything else is super awesome fun times!