[2012-Sep-02] Sunday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

Not a Guest

Re: [2012-Sep-2] Sunday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Post by Not a Guest »

For anyone who thinks Zach means this completely literally, check the date of the very first SMBC comic. He's saying that you don't have to lock yourself into one thing in life and only do that and that you can be good at other things even as a hobby.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I would like to thank Not A Guest and several other users. I appreciated this comic. Now with your posts which take it way too seriously, I don't.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Not a Guest wrote:For anyone who thinks Zach means this completely literally, check the date of the very first SMBC comic. He's saying that you don't have to lock yourself into one thing in life and only do that and that you can be good at other things even as a hobby.
I think his classic comics date back to January 2002 actually, which explains why he's been sliding the past 8 months I guess
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

anus mcgee

Post by anus mcgee »

Thank God Zach posted this; I was starting to worry that I wouldn't have anyone to feed me preachy bullshit instead of writing a webcomic.

wandering

Post by wandering »

I don't usually come to internet forums just because they are full of self-important douche-bags like so many of you, but I did want to post something about this webcomic.

I liked it.

It inspired me.

If there was a wallpaper of it, I would love to have it.

In my battle with my mental illnesses, it is very hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Most of the time I am in a very dark space and I have no way to go. Sometimes I visit webcomics to cheer me up. Some I visit to make me think. This one accomplished both and I wanted Zack to realize that it shows me that my past hasn't been just me being a waste, but living different lives. Maybe a little bit of hope.

Thank you, SMBC.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Anon21 wrote:Yo, a Master's takes like 3 years

If you bros were paying University of Phoenix for 7 years of that shit, you need to go get a refund
Yeah, I was including the 4 year prerequisite bachelor degree in that.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

ThatThereLazyGuy

Post by ThatThereLazyGuy »

smiley_cow wrote:It takes 7 years to get a Masters, not 7 years to master something; I think Zach's mixed up. Or maybe I just don't like it when people frame things in absolutes.
The time it takes to master something is inversely proportional to the time you dedicate to it. Furthermore, consider all the classes you have to take to get one Master's degree. Many of those classes are irrelevant to the actual degree or cross over into other degrees.

And you don't need to be taught to master something. All you need to do is dedicate yourself to it. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autodidacts

The reason that list isn't longer is because people think they need to be taught to learn something.

I started learning C# (and computer programming in general) about a week ago. It's not going to take me seven years to master it. Know why? Because I can dedicate myself to it. In fact, I'd say it's likely that it only takes me five years to master technical and scientific fields. Arts? Maybe seven years. It depends, I guess.

I'm living multiple lives concurrently right now, and even so, I doubt I'll be 33 before I master programming.
Lethal Interjection wrote:And while this comic has pretty much everything I hate about SMBC, I actually found it okay, even a little charming.
Absolutely 100% agree here. I mean, it didn't help the insomnia I had last night, but it's absolutely accurate.

Anon21

Post by Anon21 »

smiley_cow wrote:
Anon21 wrote:Yo, a Master's takes like 3 years

If you bros were paying University of Phoenix for 7 years of that shit, you need to go get a refund
Yeah, I was including the 4 year prerequisite bachelor degree in that.
Well, don't. With one Bachelor's, you can get multiple Master's. Don't even need to have been a major in any of them.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

ThatThereLazyGuy wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:It takes 7 years to get a Masters, not 7 years to master something; I think Zach's mixed up. Or maybe I just don't like it when people frame things in absolutes.
The time it takes to master something is inversely proportional to the time you dedicate to it. Furthermore, consider all the classes you have to take to get one Master's degree. Many of those classes are irrelevant to the actual degree or cross over into other degrees.

And you don't need to be taught to master something. All you need to do is dedicate yourself to it. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autodidacts

The reason that list isn't longer is because people think they need to be taught to learn something.

I started learning C# (and computer programming in general) about a week ago. It's not going to take me seven years to master it. Know why? Because I can dedicate myself to it. In fact, I'd say it's likely that it only takes me five years to master technical and scientific fields. Arts? Maybe seven years. It depends, I guess.

I'm living multiple lives concurrently right now, and even so, I doubt I'll be 33 before I master programming.
Er...yes, that was my point. Sorry I'm not quite sure where you're taking issue, so I'm just going to explain myself a bit better. Framing things as absolutes when they're not is actually a pet peeve of mine more than it is a strong critique of the comic. Some things you'll master sooner, some things may take a life time. Some things you may want to spend a life time on if you love it enough. And you may want to go and try and master many things throughout your life, or you may prefer to devote yourself just one or a couple specific things and there's nothing wrong with any of that.

And a bit off topic: I don't think you can ever really finish mastering an art. Even the greatest artists I know don't usually like their work from just a few years ago. There's end point to reach, and there's always room to improve (kind of depressing and inspiring at the same time, I guess). But I've seen people become proficient enough to create some really amazing things in less than a year, and some people who took years before they reached a point where they could be close to satisfied.* There's so many factors involved.

Anon21 wrote: Well, don't. With one Bachelor's, you can get multiple Master's. Don't even need to have been a major in any of them.
But you still need a Bachelor's to go on...

Eh, screw it.

Butts.

*I'm mostly thinking about fine arts, because that's the field I have the best understanding of, but broad ideas like these usually carry over to other disciplines.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

They just kept going...

TheLazyOne

Post by TheLazyOne »

smiley_cow wrote:Er...yes, that was my point. Sorry I'm not quite sure where you're taking issue, so I'm just going to explain myself a bit better. Framing things as absolutes when they're not is actually a pet peeve of mine more than it is a strong critique of the comic. Some things you'll master sooner, some things may take a life time. Some things you may want to spend a life time on if you love it enough. And you may want to go and try and master many things throughout your life, or you may prefer to devote yourself just one or a couple specific things and there's nothing wrong with any of that.
I think he was more talking about in general or even a generous estimate. And you were acting like he was talking about getting a Master's Degree. I don't think that was his point at all. But you're not just missing the point there, you're missing the point with the rest of this post, too. It's not that you'll never get a chance to master something because you've already dedicated yourself to something, it's that you're afraid to try. That thing that you love so much is comfortable. That's all.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

TheLazyOne wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:Er...yes, that was my point. Sorry I'm not quite sure where you're taking issue, so I'm just going to explain myself a bit better. Framing things as absolutes when they're not is actually a pet peeve of mine more than it is a strong critique of the comic. Some things you'll master sooner, some things may take a life time. Some things you may want to spend a life time on if you love it enough. And you may want to go and try and master many things throughout your life, or you may prefer to devote yourself just one or a couple specific things and there's nothing wrong with any of that.
I think he was more talking about in general or even a generous estimate. And you were acting like he was talking about getting a Master's Degree. I don't think that was his point at all. But you're not just missing the point there, you're missing the point with the rest of this post, too. It's not that you'll never get a chance to master something because you've already dedicated yourself to something, it's that you're afraid to try. That thing that you love so much is comfortable. That's all.
you've already mastered being a douche, so it's going pretty well for you
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

nobody
[Insert Here]

Post by nobody »

how do these people manage to ignore my posts, i'll never understand

BoredomMan

Post by BoredomMan »

DonRetrasado wrote:
TheLazyOne wrote:
you've already mastered being a douche, so it's going pretty well for you
Yep.

Look, I realize that a couple of you are trolls, and insincere in your self-righteousness. But for the rest of the strip's defenders: No one failed to understand this strip. No one will ever fail to understand this strip. It is an incredibly simple concept.

And if it inspired someone, that's great! I'm genuinely glad to hear that. It is a simple concept, and it is a true and relevant concept. There is always more that your brain is competent to learn.

Myself, I find it difficult to be inspired by an inspirational lecture when I notice logical errors in the lecture. After all, if the logic is unsound, how do I know that the moral of the story is genuinely applicable? In this case, I know that the moral of the story is applicable because everyone knows that the moral of the story is applicable. It is an inspirational lecture, not an educational one. But the logic is flawed, and it's not "missing the point" to acknowledge that.

And if there's any question:I think Zack Weiner a superb artist, I enjoy the assfuck out of this site almost every day, I dig SMBC theatre and I'm proud to read and support their work. I sure hope that he does not feel discouraged by my words or by anyone else's -- I am here in celebration of his work, and I reckon others probably are, as well.