[2012-Oct-11] Patent Calculus

Blame Quintushalls for this.

Moderators: NeatNit, Kimra

CountGrey

[2012-Oct-11] Patent Calculus

Post by CountGrey »

In panels one, four, and five, the patent clerk's shirt is red.
In panel three, it is blue. :[]

The patent clerk should patent his color-changing shirt.

Comic 2761
Damnation, he reflected, is but a word bandied about by those whose blindness leads them to condemn all who can see, even with a single eye. - H. P. Lovecraft

Re: [2012-October-11] Patent Calculus

Post by Guest »

It's been a few months since a webcomic author has grossly misunderstood patent law, so we were overdue.

Then again, Zach continues to insist that the name "Choose Your Own Adventure" is copyrighted, so we're not talking about an IP expert here.

Leibnitz

Post by Leibnitz »

Newton can't patent calculus. I invented it first!

-- Leibnitz

thejakeman

Post by thejakeman »

Guest wrote:It's been a few months since a webcomic author has grossly misunderstood patent law, so we were overdue.

Then again, Zach continues to insist that the name "Choose Your Own Adventure" is copyrighted, so we're not talking about an IP expert here.
Can I patent my dick? It's a "pleasure aid."

Post by Guest »

thejakeman wrote:Can I patent my dick? It's a "pleasure aid."
Has it been in public use for more than a year? If so, then no.

Would your patent cover anything that has been in use for more than a year, was written about more than a year ago, or that somebody figured out or did before you did? If so, then no.

Hence the silliness in the comic. Obviously Newton's patent on representing physical systems with calculous doesn't cover those underlying physical systems, or else the patent is invalid since such systems have existed before. If your patent would cover things that people were already doing, your patent is invalid.

Other Guest

Post by Other Guest »

Someone here doesn't understand humour, and his name is Guest.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

thejakeman wrote:
Guest wrote:It's been a few months since a webcomic author has grossly misunderstood patent law, so we were overdue.

Can I patent my dick? It's a "pleasure aid."
You can patent it, but no one is gonna use it but you.

CaptainCrunk

Post by CaptainCrunk »

From what little I know about patent law, this comic almost is not hyperbole. One guy has patented all fractal antennas, for instance; of course, there are infinitely many fractals and so infinitely many fractal antennas, including some which were manufactured prior to the patent applications! So in summary, as I understand it, some jackass gets to patent an infinite number of possible designs because those designs can be described in with similar math. Anyway, I'll stop ranting.

BEER

Post by BEER »

Patent law wouldn't be in existence till 1875 anyway.
Imitations of Bass Pale Ale led to the introduction of the copyright symbol with the Red Triangle logo for Bass being the first registered trademark.

Post by Guest »

BEER wrote:Patent law wouldn't be in existence till 1875 anyway.
Imitations of Bass Pale Ale led to the introduction of the copyright symbol with the Red Triangle logo for Bass being the first registered trademark.
That's not patent law; that's trademark law.

Patent law stretches back to the 1400s at least, and US patents date to the 1700s.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Or maybe he does* and he made a sarcastic comic poking fun at the way persons and entities try to extend patent law to absurd levels by claiming patents on the most basic designs and concepts. I seem to remember some recent news items...

*Or doesn't, but doesn't really need to understand patent law in order to make the joke.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Hedonistic Calculus

Post by Hedonistic Calculus »

Obligatory snide Apple comment.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Hedonistic Calculus wrote:Obligatory snide Apple comment.
Overzealous retort?

Post by Guest »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Hedonistic Calculus wrote:Obligatory snide Apple comment.
Overzealous retort?
Rebuttal remarking your fanatic devotion to Apple.

Ming1973

Re: [2012-Oct-11] Patent Calculus

Post by Ming1973 »

The attractive point of elastic man is its elasticity and pleasant sound.